A3 1.8T Sport Chipping

foolish3uk

Reaction score
Hi all,
Hopefully getting car chipped soon but have been shopping around for a quote, the best around my area is £540.00 Trade price, is that good or am i gonna get ripped off? any recommendations where to go for the best price in essex,
P.S. £540 will get me from 150BHP to 180BHP.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

dunno bout prices off hand - shop around a bit, but that don't sound as good as a lot of other 1.8T sports that have been remaped, including mine. I guess I'd be hoping for at least 190hp.

depending on who does it you will get 190-230bhp

would you want a remap custom to the car or an off-the-shelf programme?

you should be getting 190 bhp at least!

ive heard jabba aqre very good as tehy to custom maps?

Well, there are several makes, some better than others. I have a superchip and it costs about 500 quid, should see you about 190-195 at a guess. PTS, based in luton, cab do this for you. Most people on here will point you in the way of Revo, AmD, Jabba, MTM etc etc but superchip does me just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want contact details for PTS, lemme know and ill sort them out for you.

VVT engines sometimes get more,especially if combined with 4 bar fpr program,also early cars with large port heads are good for a bit more.190 -210 is the norm i think,with superchips they usually have less aggressive settings so normally get less.Cheers Andy

Jabba are reasonable close to you .. there based in Peterborough .. ish.

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dean_T said:

[/ QUOTE ]

230? u sure? sounds VERY good!

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, well thats what i was told /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

had a chat with an extremely helpful chap at Jabba the other day, they remap between 220-230, depending on what RON petrol you use

i know a guy off the Skoda forum that says he knows cars that have come out of there showing 235 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

a mate told me that theres something you can put some from the tt to make the engine 225bhp? the ecu or something? im not entirely sure what he meant! i thought the extra power in a tt came from a different turbo?

[ QUOTE ]
Dean_T said:
[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dean_T said:

[/ QUOTE ]

230? u sure? sounds VERY good!

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, well thats what i was told /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

had a chat with an extremely helpful chap at Jabba the other day, they remap between 220-230, depending on what RON petrol you use

i know a guy off the Skoda forum that says he knows cars that have come out of there showing 235 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

220-230 out of a standard 150BHP T Sport? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Are you sure? Is that with larger Turbo, Inter cooler etc..? Seems an awful lot from just a chip

I can't see a 150 getting up to 220-230 and evne if it did I can't see it lasting long.

The 225 engines have quite a few differences. Not least of these is double the intercoolers.

have has a quote from a performance place in hatfield pevril for a superchip to get 150 up to 180 BHP quote s £500 is that a good quote?TRADE PRICE

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
I can't see a 150 getting up to 220-230 and evne if it did I can't see it lasting long.

The 225 engines have quite a few differences. Not least of these is double the intercoolers.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.jabbasport.co.uk/

check out the remapping section and then Audi --- A3

one thing i should have mentioned is that its only engines with the drive-by-wire VVT which can get that sort of increase

why would you be concerned if a 150hp engine would hit 230hp?

the 180s remapped by AMD go to around that sort of power and i always thought the 150/180 where exactly the same apart from being mapped a little different from Audi? Although i may stand corrected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However if this was risky doing this then i think there would be lots of horror stories going around about Jabba (bad new travels fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) and i have only ever heard good from people who have used them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what you are talking about is the 150bhp tt 2 wheel drive, the cheap mans TT (SORRY IF YOU HAVE ONE) i believe the only difference is the engine ECU everything else is the same ( SO I HAVE HEARD) cheaper to try ecu than chipping but please dont take my word for it!

AmD's site only says it adds 40bhp so based on a 180 I takes it to 220. I also believe the 150/180 are the same engines so I guess they can also go from 150 to 220.

If they (AMD/Jabba) say it can be done I don't doubt it.

I suppose Audi could have done the same. They didn't as they need to cater for long life and reliability.

I'm sure someone could also get a 150 up to 300 but how long would it cope? It's a scale of longevity against power.

I bow to the tuners knowledge as they have about 500times (at least!) more than myself.

I guess most of us modders don't have our cars for such a long time anyway so longevity isn't the top priority. I know the same thing applies to running in but I still do that sensitively. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

to get a 150bhp T sport up to 220bhp, your looking at a lot of money and thats the turbo's limit. Anything above this you need a bigger turbo.

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
to get a 150bhp T sport up to 220bhp, your looking at a lot of money and thats the turbo's limit. Anything above this you need a bigger turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

£475 mate

has no-one had a Jabba remap off here before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dean_T said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

£475 mate

has no-one had a Jabba remap off here before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so, your telling me, from an A3 1.8T sport, 150bhp standard, you can pay 475 quid to get it to 220bhp. Sorry mate, your dreaming. Ive spent a couple grand, and im not there yet.

ok so i guess Jabba are falsely advertising and all the people who have had it done on Briskoda are lieing

you can say I'm dreaming if you like but we will see when it gets done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

have you actually checked on their site before calling me a liar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dean_T said:
ok so i guess Jabba are falsely advertising and all the people who have had it done on Briskoda are lieing

you can say I'm dreaming if you like but we will see when it gets done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

have you actually checked on their site before calling me a liar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont need to, 70bhp from a chip? No way.

ok fair enough, with VVT the gains are obviously going to be more, I have an AGU engine code, didnt realise you were talking about the later models. I believe the laters ones have a different turbo so this would account for the substantial gains. I stand corrected i was going by the AGU engines.

np Stuart, i was getting a little annoyed about being called a liar though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

just for reference;

413751_61_full.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

a little straining on the eyes but it was a rush job, apologies

i looked mate, i must admit, i still think 70bhp from a chip seems a bit high, but fair enough. Just a case of crossed wires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The later models are capable of upto about 250 at their limit! I wouldnt run it like this for too long though as at this kind of boost its bye bye turbo in not a long time!

Rich

Yeah, I'm wary of how hard the Jabba program pushes the turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Oettinger got my (150) ARX up to 210, and that almost pales in comparison to Jabba's numbers. I've got the uprated K03 and VVT as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Has anyone ran the Jabba program for high mileage? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ok lets get a few things straight here;

1) There is no K03S (As confirmed by KKK (Borgwarner)) themselves, this is a myth. Basically tehre are two variants of K03 used the early one and the later type, which has a different turbine layout and a different actuator for the slightly higher boost pressure.

2) The max bhp figure is not important, as I could have a boost spike that would show 300hp but wouldn't mean a dam thing.

3) Look at torque, not at hp! this is what's important in everyday driving.

4) What is important is the gain over standard, so Jabba quoting some of their max figures acheived is not representative and is proven in a PVW feature where they made nowhere near 225 or 235 hp! No doubt about it Jabba do get good figures, so you can't take that away from them, just don't expect what was acheived on one car will be the same on yours.

5) The K03 is only rated for around the 220hp mark!

6) The S3 engine has many items that are different, but mainly ECU, Turbo, Intercoolers and Injectors.

7)I would expect to see more than 180 from a chip, as most tuners quote from 190-210hp, but again this can depend on your car.

500 pounds is reasonably cheap compared to some of the other options out there, but that doesn't make it better necessarily. I could of saved a fortune on my chip if I'd gone with someone else, but I wouldn't change it for anything as it has proven to have made my car very quick indeed.

Do your research and decide with your gut.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:

5) The K03 is only rated for around the 220hp mark!

[/ QUOTE ]

Woo, i thought i was correct with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love_4.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
2) The max bhp figure is not important, as I could have a boost spike that would show 300hp but wouldn't mean a dam thing.

3) Look at torque, not at hp! this is what's important in everyday driving.

4) What is important is the gain over standard, so Jabba quoting some of their max figures acheived is not representative and is proven in a PVW feature where they made nowhere near 225 or 235 hp! No doubt about it Jabba do get good figures, so you can't take that away from them, just don't expect what was acheived on one car will be the same on yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

some extremely good points made there chap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

would be very interesting to get my car on another set of (independent) rollers after getting it done and see what happens!

I am looking to get my car chiped by jabba in a week or two.I will post what i get. They told me about 200bhp on an early A3 1.8T. Which i think is good for only £475. Will let you know soon.

Matt

I am thinking of getting a chip and have been looking at APRs site. They say 206 bhp and 240lb torque from the 1.8T vvt engined car. Does anyone have an APR chip ? What is it like ? Does this large incresae in torque cause any problems with clutch, gearbox etc?

Richard

APR are well known and respected both within Europe (Mainly the UK) and across the water in the US. I am running similar torque to what the APR chip is quoted as giving you and after 20k miles of very HARD driving my drive line is none the worse for it. Of course if you insist on grand prix launches at every set of lights then don't be surprised when your clutch gives up!

You can't go wrong with APR though.

I've heard good reports about APR also. Go for it!

Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
Aurom said:
I am thinking of getting a chip and have been looking at APRs site. They say 206 bhp and 240lb torque from the 1.8T vvt engined car. Does anyone have an APR chip ? What is it like ? Does this large incresae in torque cause any problems with clutch, gearbox etc?

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, those are good numbers from a remap. As a matter of fact, I got 207hp and 242 ft/lbs out of my Oettinger remap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif And your driving style will make more of an impact on clutch life than the extra torque. If you're slipping it at 4k revs at every traffic light, then remap or no, you'll burn the clutch right up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif But if you drive like a semi-normal person (i.e. NOT like Gambba /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif) then you should be good. I had my TQ remapped at 62k miles and am now at 97k+ and haven't had a problem with the clutch (Yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sorry dude, no clue yet (Although Gambba may be helping me find out next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I was never really interested in boost gauges as it's hard to find one the suits the A3 interior without looking "Ricer" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But if it helps, my TQ is an ARX engine which has the uprated K03 and VVT, which should explain better figures than those with normal K03's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
But if you drive like a semi-normal person (i.e. NOT like Gambba /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh the cheek of it! It's only one turbo every 30k miles of my driving i think that's quite respectable!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Clutch is going to need replacing soon me thinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif