Lamin-X for our 2009 S3 Sportback?

kinson

Reaction score
Dear fellow S3 drivers, I'm thinking about applying the paint protective films on the 2009 S3 Sportback and Lamin-X seems to be a good choice. Just got a few questions to seek your kind advices:
  1. I cannot find S3 in their website (www.lamin-x.com), only A3 is available. Is the paint protection films for A3 also applicable to our S3 Sportback?
  2. How difficult it is to apply the film myself?
Thanks so much for the advice in advance.

Cheers,
Kinson

you can buy it from lamin x uk and cut the stuff down for your lights im doing the same , cant be that hard surely you just measure with a tape measure then pic your size heres a link mate

http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/

As for the fitting element, Jamiekip does a talk through here.

Funny that Lamin-x for facelift is only just raising its head. OP - I would Email or phone them in the US so you get the info direct.

He's talking about the full front clear protection kit I think, in which case the S3 is completely different. You'd be better off ordering a large sheet of it and asking a local vinyl fitter to fit it for you.

He's talking about the full front clear protection kit I think, in which case the S3 is completely different. You'd be better off ordering a large sheet of it and asking a local vinyl fitter to fit it for you.

You are just showing off by actually reading the post. :laugh: I agree he is on about the Venture shield thingamy and that something of that size I would want put on proper job.

Yep! I'm thinking about the full front protection... Thanks so much for the suggestions, folks!:s3addict:

Are you in UK Kinson? Either way is doesn't matter I suppose, click here and get your measuring tape out. However, there are companies that do this bespoke like some of the ones here. Which to be fair would be the route I would investigate first.

Good luck and be sure to post a thread on it. :beerchug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-LO95vkNqg

(lol - I can't believe it has a reminder to wash the bonnet first!)

Last edited:
AHA I apologise, I hadn't noticed that either.

I thought about these protective films when I bought mine but I've heard they're not very good. Normally because they're not perfectly clear.

Audi's paint does seem to be very good at resisting stone chips to be fair.

not so true staz ive got an 06 sportback and chips are appearing lamix x uk do do clear film there was a video on there site but i cant find it now but it shown bumps from other cars on protected bumpers , staged of coarse but it looked bollaxed like it needed a paint job proper scuff lines and i couldnt see the film what so ever , then they peel it off and there wasnt a mark its good stuff ....

not so true staz ive got an 06 sportback and chips are appearing lamix x uk do do clear film there was a video on there site but i cant find it now but it shown bumps from other cars on protected bumpers , staged of coarse but it looked bollaxed like it needed a paint job proper scuff lines and i couldnt see the film what so ever , then they peel it off and there wasnt a mark its good stuff ....

It's good in theory and I guess good in real life if you're not so bothered about what it looks like - but at the end of the day, if you weren't bothered what your car looks like then you wouldn't be looking to buy it to start with. I have one tiny stone chip which stands out (if you're me) on my A pillar which I'd like to touch up with some lacquer, maybe be able to hide it quite well as it looks like it's only took the clear coat off. And a huge feck off one on the door which is all the way down to the metal but that's getting resprayed.

if i can find the video you will see what i mean mate ....

coarse im bothered what my car looks like i dont want it looking like a buffet wrapped in cling film but on this vid it looked really good i couldnt even tell it was on the paint looked glossy like there was nothing there then after the bump they peel it off the bumper was spotless ....

there you go it looks ok to me i hate shyte like this tbh but if i had a little bump and could just peel it off then its worth it

Bmwpaintdamage.gif

I understand what you're saying and it does look quite good there but I think if you actually saw it on a car it'd stand out a mile. Plus you'd have to be extremely lucky for there to be no damage under the film IMO. "a buffet wrapped in cling film" made me laugh. :)

work out what it would cost you to respray the bumper if it got scuffed like that probably less than the film .

bonnet protection yes cost it would cost more to get rid of the stone chips on the bonnet than painting it again