s3 likes its oil

s3deano

Reaction score
hi guys

yet again today my oil low light came on AGAIN....

I`d say the car uses about a litre of oil every 2 month, but the car does get driven everyday and some days driven hard..

how often do you guys need to top the oil up?

A litre of oil every two months isn't something to worry about depending on how many miles you are covering. Audi say that a litre of oil every 1000 would be the limit, but it sounds like you drive more than that in a bi-monthly period.

cheers mate.... yeah i cover well over the 1000 miles... just didnt want the news the turbo was on its way out

I went from 0w 30 (or 40) to 5w 30 (or40) as vag have done this themselves on newer cars and mine hardly uses anything now.

I use Castol Magnatec 10w40 and have to top up every month nearly....

I however do a fair few miles though.

Must check mine. Recently had it serviced and used Castrol 5w30 as recommended.

my warning light ALWAYS comes on when im on my way to some sort of holiday.....this year i went to London for long weekend and it came on on the M1, last year went to motor show in London and it came on almost the exaxct same junction on the M1....then went abroad 3 weeks ago and it came on 10 miles from home..... always on outbound holiday trips...****** marvellous!!

i love getting stung by expensive garages for 1 litre tins of castrol edge

Seems to vary from engine to engine. My car hasnt gone through much oil at all in the year Ive owned it.

My brothers first leon drank its oil but the 2nd was fine.

I was a bit concerned myself recently when my car seemed to drink nearly a litre of oil in about 2000 miles, had a major service about 2 and a half months ago by APS, checked the oil about 3 weeks ago and it was on the minimum mark, bought some Castrol SLX is it?.. the one recommended for VAGs, and it has only used a tiny drop since, and last weekend it had a long drive to Wales, and a hard drive all weekend whilst over there on a pistonheads meet and rip.

I spoke to Ed at APS and he also mentioned that Audi quote that a litre for every 1000 miles is acceptional, although I would be seriously concerned if mine was burning or loosing that much oil in that amount of time! Ed also agreed with that.