Rocker cover... what colour??

S3 Paul

Reaction score
As im building my engine now ( but waiting on parts) i was looking at the tatty cam cover... i know its under a plastic cover 99% of the time but... it is getting some kind of work to freshen it up. What should i do? powder coat? paint? polish ( and then do inlet mani to match ) just have it shot blasted to look new again?

Pictures would ne great too !

I like the look of the wrinkle paint in red. But it was too cold when i tried and it went wrong, so i had both the IM and the cover powder coated black instead
DSC00584.jpg

Sorry best pic currently hosted after a slight engine fire, but black none the less

Last edited:
Mark that pic is crap :)

do the rocker cover noggy blue Paul

I did mine in wrinkle finish black. Worked really well.

P1010376.jpg

P1010377.jpg

P1010378.jpg

I thought of that kind of black finish and maybe the inlet also concidered the steel boost pipe too. but then it might just look a sea of black with odd bit of blue where the boost hoses are.

I want to make the engine bay look a little more OEM of years gone by where it wasnt full of plastic. I went for black as it looks cleaner for longer. Also replaced all the silicone with black ones.

With the wrinkle finish paint is a little awkward and took me a good 8 hours to do (on and off of course)... I cleaned the parts meticulously with 'gunk' and then rinsed and dried them. Then used a red metal primer and gave it 3 coats. Once done i baked them in the oven at 90oC for about 30 mins. Once cool i then applied the wrinkle paint which is a pain to use. The nozzle keeps blocking .etc but it turned out OK. The key is to do lots of fine layers.... I tihnk i did about 5 in total.
It then got baked again for about 2 hours at same temp, and this is what makes the wrinkles really tight. You have to let it cool, and then cure at room temp for 5 days before fitting.

Sounds like a pain, but its a good finish if you take the time to do it right. Masking it all off took some time but wanted to get it perfect and have really nice clean lines where i masked it off.