Can i used non extra load tyres?

Dazmo

Reaction score
Just bought 2 x continental contact 3 tyres with 8mm tread 235/40/18.

Off a used car but obviously these are pretty much new.

I didnt think at the time and so i bought them, not realising that i need extra load tyres for my 3.0 a4.:scared2:

Just wondered can i still get away with using these? the load rating is 615kg per tyre as opposed to extra load which is about 695kg per tyre.:crying:

Anyone and everyone that you ask in an official capacity will say no, especially your insurance company.:readit:
Tyres are weight rated for a reason.

I wouldn't risk it mate :sadlike:

you need the extra load for the tyre wall, otherwise your tyre will collapse on cornering

Another vote here for XL.

I'd rather fit W rated XL's than Y rated regulars. The A4 is a heavy car.

I have been using non-extra load tyres for sometime now and no problems.

I would only use them on a saloon and not an avant, and the moment forces are higher on the avant.

Also 99% of the time, i am travelling on motorways on my own, with no load in the boot.

If you are carrying rear passengers, cornering hard or loads in your boot, i would suggest you don't do it.

My Audi dealer does supply non-extra load tyres as their budget range as they offered me one, but i wasn't happy paying their quoted price.

The load rating of tyres decreases with speed (as the tyres heat up) so to keep the load rating high enough even at sped you need XL tyres.

Also as previously said, if the insurance company see non-XL tyres that's enough reason for them to deem you un-insured.

Don't do it.

So you're saying that if (hypothetically speaking) my gran with a (say) 55 reg A4 went to a local garage, and they fitted non-XL tyres to the car, and all she knew about her car was the fact that it needed new tyres (how many would realise it needs XL, to be honest), then she would not be insured?

I think that is a bit harsh. Also, whoever fitted the tyres would find themselves at the centre of a huge legal battle.

Fairly sure you have to treat load ratings the same as speed ratings and never reduce below manufacturers original standard.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreload.html

Yeah im going to stick with XL tyres to be safe as i had a full boot of cans and bottles yesterday and 3 other people in the car and if i had non extra loads they probably would have exploded.

So you're saying that if (hypothetically speaking) my gran with a (say) 55 reg A4 went to a local garage, and they fitted non-XL tyres to the car, and all she knew about her car was the fact that it needed new tyres (how many would realise it needs XL, to be honest), then she would not be insured?

I think that is a bit harsh. Also, whoever fitted the tyres would find themselves at the centre of a huge legal battle.

And who would win that legal battle? Little person, big tyre supplier or big insurance company?

The legal interpretation is that the tyres fitting must exceed the gross axle weight specified on the VIN plate.

If, for instance, the non XL tyres are 615kg each, and the axle weight is below 1230kgs, its legal. The manufacturer will usually employ a 10% safety margin on it, so for an axle weight of 1200kgs, they would fit tyres of at least 660kg load index.

Check your VIN plate, and compare the weights to find out for sure where you stand.