Missfire

Timmc

Reaction score
Morning all. Driving home from work this morning after a nice 11 hour shift, goes to put my foot down a bit and theres a rather horrible sounding missfire, a flashing emission warning light and a rather smelly catalytic egg smell. Nursed it home, but now the question is, what is causing this?
Last time it was a coilpack.
Answers or opinions would be great. I don't have vagcom (seriously need to get off my **** and get it), hopefully be an easy fix or it's off to work in the nova tonite.

Oh by the way it's an AUM 1.8t and it has been mapped.

Cheers in advance

Tim

Without a vag-com you can only guess, but my bet is that it's a coilpack mate... Last time you had the problem with coilpacks, did you replace the whole lot or just the one that was failing?

Normally, if one goes, the otehrs are not too far off going as well, so it's always better to replace all of them in one go and save yourself the agro later.

What coilpack did you change? You may find that if you changed No1 that no No3 will need swapping. Same for No2 and No4. But your going to be chasing your own tail replaceing 1 at a time. I got to buy 3 today as another one of mine has gone and im feed up of replacing 1 at a time :(.
If you have the engine management light on the Vagcom will be able to throw the fault at you anyway :)
Good luck.

Just echoing whats already been said, sounds like another coilpack has gone, best bet is just to replace all of them, and you should be ok then.

Sounds v-much like a coilpack.

...Ive had two go pop since my remap in March. I picked up four new ones from Audi yesterday and noticed that S3 is now stamped into the plastic on the top of the coil. Never noticed previously and Im now wondering if A3's and S3's have different ones or are they all the same?

DSC00798.jpg

can anyone confirm?

Yep it was a coilpack again, got some spares to keep in the car now for when the next one decides to die.

The ones i've just put in say S3 on the top aswell

Maz, im sure thats just a coding, the A/S3 1.8t ones are all the same.

Yep it was a coilpack again, got some spares to keep in the car now for when the next one decides to die.

The ones i've just put in say S3 on the top aswell

I would put the other coilpacks in wast the others are new if you havent replaced them already or you will be chasing your own tail.