MOT fail

peter02

Reaction score
I have had my car in for an mot, and it has failed - something to do with a front cv leaking grease onto the brakes. They said this was common and is going to cost £120 to fix ! Does this sound a fair price, they have offered to retest it free but some one else has said if you have the work done with in a certain time the re test is free anyway. Any advice would be welcomed.

Price Sounds reasonable to me - sounds like 2 abd a bit hours of work to do the job.........whats the mileage on your motor ?

they have offered to retest it free but some one else has said if you have the work done with in a certain time the re test is free anyway.
Retests can be charged for its at the discreation of the testing station to do as they see fit.

If the car stays at the garage to do the re-test, and the work is completed within 10 days the re-test is free. If you take the car away and then return it the garage will re-test it, but usually at a cost. Commonly half of the price you paid in the first place. A leaking CV joint gaiter putting grease onto the brakes will need a new CV gaiter, grease, a set of brake pads and a lot of spray brake cleaner. Changing a CV boot is a pretty straight forward process, but can be a pain in the **** job sometimes. Takes about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, plus time to change the brake pads on the other side.

I'd say £120 to get it done is fair. Make sure the garage use good brake pads, not cheap ones. The difference in performance is noticeable. Also check they intend to replace all 4 pads, some dodgy garages will just take out the ones you have and clean them off. That just ain;t good enough!

If the car stays at the garage to do the re-test, and the work is completed within 10 days the re-test is free. If you take the car away and then return it the garage will re-test it, but usually at a cost. Commonly half of the price you paid in the first place.
Its still the mot stations desicion on what they charge and when it can be upto half the original test fee but a tidy station will generally charge you nothing whatever happens .