stealers

andywa

Reaction score
Had the car into an Audi dealership to have a problem diagnosed. Anyway they diagnosed the problem as the secondry air something or other and printed up a bill for works to be carried out. They wanted to charge me £170 and reckoned it would take an hour and a half. After i picked my jaw up from the floor i went to an indie garage who all in are going to charge £27.50. I've also been told it'll take less than 30 mins. How the feck can the stealers get away with charging these amounts and trying to getaway by saying theyll need the car for longer than what they do.

Just goes to show always shop around.

Rant over

Cheers,

Andy

and as I've stated (ranted on about) before, one stealers can be 3x the price of the next (even for Audi OEM parts!!!)...

in some ways this is even worse.... provided the indy guys weren't cutting soem dubious corners, the one thing you should be assured of at the stealers is that they're going to do things the correct, recommended way and not end up billing you for time while they flap around and try to work out "now how do you fix this on an Audi".....

Well, I have found my local main dealer (Preston, Lancs) to be very receptive to price matching for repairs........and lets face it I do trust the work they do as they offer a better guarantee on their work than you will find any independent or other garage will offer (case in point my cambelt & water pump 2 years warranty - best I could get from anyone else doing it was 3 months - and by the way they price matched Stafford Audi so got the job done for about £450 instead of the original £650 I was quoted - I could of geot the job done at an independant garage for £400 but for the sake of £50 I though an Audi Main Dealer was a better bet).

However, in the case of Preston Audi, one has to ask why they have just built a big extention on their showroom.....which was big enough in the 1st place if you ask me - the business overheads on these gin palaces must be huge - ironically, last time I was in there one employee told me that they had to "let some people go" cos the bottom had fallen out of the car market !
I could do without all the flashy showrooms...and the Parts dept is buried amongst all this flashiness . I would far rather go to a storeroom and talk to the people looking after the parts direct.

Back to the original point though I have not yet been in the position where I have had to get a fault diagnosis done...and I have to say I would probably get an independant to do the diagnosis & repair......but it depends on how long you are going to hkeep the car I s'pose....you pays your money and makes your choices

I was under the impression that all Audi main dealers where doing fixed price servicing which included a cam belt change and new water pump for £329 is this true or not?

Think I can beat that one.
I have an Audi A4 cabriolet which had a broken hood storage box handle in the boot.
I was away on business in stafford so popped into Stafford Audi as i had heard so many good things about it. I showed them the fault they went away priced up the parts and quoted me £180 to fix it. Not to bad I thought as I had read on this forum that to fix the hood storage box could cost quite a bit. Anyway as I live in Newcastle I thought it would take it to Newcastle Audi as it would be easier to get the work done. Same routine took the car in showed them the fault they went away worked out the quote came back and guess what £540. I told them you must be wrong Stafford Audi said £180 no no no they said you will need a whole new storage box not just the front. Walked out muttering several expletives under my breath. Got a freind of a freind to do the work and order the parts ( he gets discount) and paid less than a £100.

They really are stealers in Newcastle Audi avoid them like the plague

Well went to get the work done today at the indie. It took him 5 minutes to do and cost me £31.50 instead of the £170 Audi in York wanted to charge. The garage I took it to if any one is local to Selby area is called Gateforth sports cars based in Sherburn In Elmet. They deal with top end stuff like Ferraries and astons but there bread and butter is the German stuff.

Whilst I was down there I got to look over a BMW Z1 which was very nice.

Cheers,

Andy