S3: Strange key under steering wheel??

Dennis Moeller

Reaction score
As title goes; what is the little key right under the steering wheel (1 inch from the steering wheel adjuster handle) doing there. I can push it in (or up towards the front screen if you will) and turn it but I can take it out?

What's it for?

havent a clue, take a picture

as a guess.... immobiliser over ride key? do you have an non standard alarm?

Here it is...

Picture155.jpg

Thats nothing standard I know off... unless its a country specific thing???

<tuffty/>

No way thats a modded alarm maybe for steering etc, thats not oem that I know of man, you can see its been cut out aswell.

I knew it, had to be Joey, lol

On a serious note, it has to be aftermarket Dennis, there's no hole under my steering column, and if you can push inwards from the hole, then it must be loose! It has to be some sort of alarm/immobiliser... or maybe even under car neons!, quick go have a look outside! :)

If you turn it, it switches the steering wheel to the correct side.

Looks like a abloy pushlock to me witch would suggest someone has fitted a aftermarket steering lock ie turn key and push up to lock in position abloy can be a pain to remove they have discs inside the lock so you have to pull down and turn key slightly to remove hope this helps a spray with gt85 or something simlar may help cheers Ian

saxperience.com , thanks NHN that is some of the funniest Sh*t on there i have read in ages ! :haha:

you turn the key to wind the car up, can get a extra 50 bhp and 100 ft/lbs of torque by fully winding it up :undwech:

Dennis,
Take the trim off and see if it's got wires going to it...or if its some form of mechanical key.

Yeah thought about doing that today after I replaced a faulty brake pedal switch that cost me a trackday :keule: The god damned thing gave up life the very day the S3 were to have it's debut on a racetrack!! But the rain stopped me. Will have a look see tomorrow.

Cheers guys...

Took apart the plastic on the steering column and found out it is some kind of steering wheel lock. With all the plastic away I could turn the key and take it out. Steering wheel couldn't move when key was out.