buying an A6 1.9TDI or 2.5TDI help

• Thread starter imported_rubbachicken
  • Start date
I

imported_rubbachicken

hello i am new to this forum,
i am considering buying an A6 either 1.9TDI or 2.5TDI
is there anything i need to look out for, what is the power from either of the two engines, i hear that the 1.9 is chipable to get more power, is the 2.5
is the 1.9 under powered
as yet i have not decided if to have an estate or the saloon, how big is the boot space in the saloon
sorry for the dumb questions, but as yet i have not had time to go and try a car for myself
any advice welcome
thank for reading

If you could stretch to it, get the 2.5 version. The 1.9 has good torque and good economy, but with the A6 being a bit on the bulky side, the 2.5 is the better option in my opinion, and you'll still get reasonable fuel economy.

Both the 1.9 and 2.5 engines are tunable with massive gains in the torque department. There are two options with chipping, you could buy a plug in box which just plugs into the injectors loom and controls the fuelling to give more power(and lots of exhaust smoke). Or go for a remap which alters the fuelling and turbo boost pressures for maximum gains(this option would probably cost more).

Finally, I would go for the estate over the saloon for the class and residual values, but thats me.

[ QUOTE ]
rubbachicken said:
hi there thanks for the advise, i hadn't realised that chipping created more smoke, but thinking about it i guess more fuel = more power = more smoke
thanks again, is there any dodgy expensive bit's to watch out for

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only noticed the extra smoke whilst using the plug-in tunit box under full throttle, so nothing really to worry about. Can't think of any expensive bits apart from the cam-belt change at 60 or 80K miles, both engines a reasonably reliable with regular servicing. My Passat TDI(1.9) had the cam belt changed at 80K and required the front bumper to be removed, so costs more due to labour charges, not sure on the A6. It's currently showing 95K (30K with the tunit box) on the clock and still running strong.