Newbie alert Hello all

Karlos the Avant

Reaction score
first of all i would like to say this is awsome and has already fixed alot of my little problems with my 1998 a4 18t avant :thumbsup:

Just a quick question {or not so quick},i have no remote fobs and only have one key to open and use the car, the boot horn sounds and the light on the dash switch comes on when i lock the car {all cool}

can i buy or aquire a remote for this car? then i dont have to use the key to unlock or is it standard not have any remote entry on this type of car {new to audi's}

i recently fitted dash mounted boost gauge and found a cobra alarm is fitted under dash but when i plugged it in it just went off {it works then} but again i have no fob for this either but can aquire the cobra fob at work, can i make this work anyway?

thank you in advance

I dont see the point of an additional alarm, the audi system makes noise and immobilises the engine better than any aftermarket system can...

Get the part number off your central locking pump in the boot (its behind the offside hatch, in a foam jacket). If its the right model you might just need to buy the remote keys and have them programmed.

I dont see the point of an additional alarm, the audi system makes noise and immobilises the engine better than any aftermarket system can...

Get the part number off your central locking pump in the boot (its behind the offside hatch, in a foam jacket). If its the right model you might just need to buy the remote keys and have them programmed.
i will have a look at week end, i thought it a bit strange to have the cobra alarm on it as ive read on here that the factor set up is good enough to keep if safe and secure, i will let you know.
would it be a main dealer buy for new key/fob or can they be purchased third party?

hello again, just nipped out had a quick look and i can see 3 sets of numbers on the back of the pump-

8L0 862 257A
PPGF30
1007 230 797 "A

how would i find out if its the one i can buy remotes for ?

i cant find the page, but from memory that letter on the end needs to be >C for the pump to be remote capable.

You have two options, either find yourself an 8L0 862 257 G pump on ebay or similar, and code that to your car using vagcom, or use an addon kit like the ones on rightclick, or get the cobra system working.

i cant find the page, but from memory that letter on the end needs to be >C for the pump to be remote capable.

You have two options, either find yourself an 8L0 862 257 G pump on ebay or similar, and code that to your car using vagcom, or use an addon kit like the ones on rightclick, or get the cobra system working.
thanks again aragorn, will prob just just go for the rightclick option as they seem to get good feed back on here and at least i know im then getting new and not secondhand from breaker or ebay.
will have a look on rightclick tomoz, is there anyone i have to buy or just anyone from the site?