Two questions from A4 Newbie

TOM1371

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a used A4 and was wondering if you guys could help me with two things:

1. Does the 1.8T have sports suspension as standard?

2. Are A4 automatics any good? I read recently that they have a tendency to fail at 110,000.

Thanks for any replies and looking to becoming an active member of the forum!

Welcome to the Forum,

Sport suspension wasn't (& still isn't standard) on the 1.8T, It was an option though.

As for the automatic box I don't know.

Cheers.

Hi TOM1371

After test driving quite a few Turbo's just before purchasing mine, I found that only the "Turbo Sports" had the sports suspension fitted as standard. Furthermore, I realised by comparing the 2 brochures that the Turbo is just fitted with the standard suspension.

Unfortunately I have no statistics to quote from regarding the automatic gear box but I'm sure this topic must have been covered somewhere else in the forum.

Happy Hunting.

Tricky D.

Anito is correct. The "Sport" suspension was/is an option.

Where did you read, "...recently that they have a tendency to fail at 110,000"?? I have not read any such info. As far as I know, the auto tranny's are strong. They need to have the fluid changed and other long term maintenance as they age, but they should last on a well-maintained car.

Don't they take off the sports suspension as a matter of course if you specify an auto tranny?

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Don't they take off the sports suspension as a matter of course if you specify an auto tranny?

[/ QUOTE ]
Never heard of that here in the States.

snoop : It does have different springs and shocks, Slightly stiffer and about 40mm lower than stock. The front 29mm sway bar changes to a solid bar. The rear sway bar changes from a hollow 12.5mm bar to a solid 15mm bar.

[ QUOTE ]
TOM1371 said:
I'm looking at buying a used A4 and was wondering if you guys could help me with two things:

1. Does the 1.8T have sports suspension as standard?

2. Are A4 automatics any good? I read recently that they have a tendency to fail at 110,000.

Thanks for any replies and looking to becoming an active member of the forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you in the UK, the USA or somewhere else altogether?

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Andymac, I know the questionner was referring to the 1.8T, but my 2.8 30V (same as yours, I think) as Tiptronic AND sports supension.