boot install

nickyb

nickyb
Reaction score
has anyone ever done or made a sub box for a a4 cabriolet or does anyone know where i can get one from as very limited height when the roof is down only got about 25cm from boot floor to the roof box when the roof is down also what subs are best to look at for in a cabriolet any help would be very grateful please.

Not done a cabrio, but have used the void on the passenger side for a stealth sub in our B6 Avant. You can get enough volume from the enclosure in the Avant, not sure what the space is like in the cabrio. Had to chop away the back of the cubbyhole (neatly so it could be glued back if/when I sell it on), then there was a lot of room for a fairly squarish MDF enclosure. I used a JL Audio 6.5" sub (because I buy a lot of them for my A3 stealth solution), but been meaning to upgrade to the 8" version at some point as the enclosure is big enough. The JL's are phenomenal for their size and work well in small enclosures.
HPIM0615.jpg

Used the drivers side void for the amp, so totally hidden.
AvantAmp4ch.jpg

thanks i have seen alot about the stelth boxes/fibre glass installs in the cubbyhole bit but am not sure what its gonna sound like when the roof is down obviously gonna loose alot of sound i suppose which is where im getting stuck with what size subs and where to put them.

does the cabrio have a ski hatch

Salons are awful for bass, even worse if its a cabrio (in car subwoofers use the cabin of a car as an enclosure.

best bet is to fire a sealed sub through the ski hatch (if it has one)

Andys cubby hole enclosure might struggle to be heard (if it does fit) as it will effectivley be firing into a sealed box. (the boot)

it does have a ski hatch and i thought of that as i have seen a pic of an old a4 cab with it done but wasn't to impressed with what it looked like and not sure how that would sound.
i have found a company in bath now that says if take my car up they can have a look at maybe something under the glove box or some 6.5" door pods aswell as the boot to see what would work best so i will give them a try and let you know what happens.

I know if an install that had good results with a small 8" sub in a box in the dashboard but needs some serious fabrication