Is this to bad condition to sand and spray?

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just a quickie guys been offered this strip... do you think it's in to bad condition to rub down and spray? (anyone with any experience) The scratches don't bother me but the marks do in case they don't rub out?! What do you guys think?

!BRCQO!w!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLlq68ZBJ75Tqm4yw~~_35.JPG

!BRCQPvgB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLlu3hQBJ75Tz2Wzg~~_35.JPG

!BRCQRh!BWk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLluH(EBJ75T9mDDg~~_35.JPG

Cheers!

it's not that bad. You can actually use some filler for the deep ones and then sand it

Filler? That easy to use.. Hmmm sounding a lot of hassle... Cheers though abdus!

Filler is **** easy. Just make sure the surface it's going onto is well keyed (scratch is a little with a screwdriver), mix the filler (golf ball sized blob of filler to a pea of hardener) slap it onto the affected area wait for it to sure properly then sand til smooth and flat.

Job done!:)

go for it, then you'll know how to master body work.. it wont take that long at all.

Ok cheers guy wheres the best place to get some from?

Yea im sure you would find it easy to filler/sand. Plus like Shy19s said you will learn how to do it for the future if needed. Even if you muffed it up you could always try again. I say go for it you got nothing to lose :)

you'll get anything you want in Halfords. Get a starter kit

Well I suppose it's justifying the cost of the filler and paint compared to how likely it is I get a good finish on it.

Well I ended up buying it for £15 so wish me luck! (68 + VAT from Audi!)

It'll be fine mate, it'll just take a bit of time.

Give it a good flat back and remove all the flaky paint from the scratches. Fill the scratches with feller, leave to go hard and flat it back till smooth. You may have to have a couple of goes at it to get rid of the scratches for good.

Start sanding and go down to finer paper as you go. Once its all super smooth give it a good clean with thinners before you apply the paint.

Just take your time, its only a small part and it's off the car so no rush.

exactly no rush mate im not desperate at all, it's just something that would be nice to do in my spare time... Thats a great guide there thanks... what grade sand paper shall i start with... work toward? Wet and dry paper is that any good? Good point about thinners will use that at the end. When u say 'flat back' u mean sanding it down?

When using the filler do I just massage that into the cracks as it were once it's ready for some?

EASY job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quick 180,then go over it with 320,clean it off,and paint it!!!! I did mine at work,in my dinner break!!! (Granted,it is my job)... lolol

Pete...

exactly no rush mate im not desperate at all, it's just something that would be nice to do in my spare time... Thats a great guide there thanks... what grade sand paper shall i start with... work toward? Wet and dry paper is that any good? Good point about thinners will use that at the end. When u say 'flat back' u mean sanding it down?

When using the filler do I just massage that into the cracks as it were once it's ready for some?

Yep, flat back = sand down

As for applying the filler, you'll get a little spreader type thing in the tub (plastic, like a credit car). You apply the filler with that and skim it over the scratches till it fills them up. You may have to have a couple of tries to get them all fully filled. Once you have flatted it down you may notice some bits that havent filled, just repeat the process.

Sandpapers come in various grades or 'grits'. 60 grit being really course and 2000 grit being really fine. Start on a course enough grit to get the excess off and then go to a finer grit with some water to get it super smooth with no scratches left in it.

This is a usefull guide for you to have a look at for flatting...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4422656_choose-auto-body-sandpaper.html

You will need to apply a couple of coats of primer to the part and then flat it down again before applying colour with a fine grit and some water.

Once you have painted it you will need to apply clear coat to it. If you can spray indoors in a dry warm room then happy days. Make sure there's no dust about when you spray as it'll stick and leave imperfections in the paint.

The more time you spend on it the better the results will be on there. More time on prep will mean a higher chance of a good finish.

T

EASY job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quick 180,then go over it with 320,clean it off,and paint it!!!! I did mine at work,in my dinner break!!! (Granted,it is my job)... lolol

Pete...

Or just do that!. :laugh:

cheers guys will post results