Green or Yellow spring?

Green, Yellow or other spring

• Total voters

MintyS3

Works 60% the time, Everytime.
Reaction score
What do you guys use in your forge 007? I swapped over the green spring for the yellow as its recommended for mapped cars.

Anyone notice any difference? Anyone have any logs?

I now get less turbo noise but still seems to pull very well.

Minty...apart from the noise then, would you say the car actually pulls better or pretty much the same as it did, not sure what I have...I assume it's a green, going to have to investigate...

i think green is for up to 15 psi and yellow is for 16 psi to 24 psi something like that it does say on the forge site, correct me if im wrong.

Minty...apart from the noise then, would you say the car actually pulls better or pretty much the same as it did, not sure what I have...I assume it's a green, going to have to investigate...

It certainly does seem to pull well. I think any improvement would be very small and hard to tell.

I need to do a high speed run to make sure it still pulls all the way through the revs in the top gear.

Valve Spring color coding

Green - 6-8 PSI

Yellow - 10-12 PSI

Blue - 14-16 PSI

Red - 18-20 PSI

Please Note:
The quoted spring pressure (Psi) relates to the un-assisted clamping force of the spring and should NOT be taken as an equivalent to boost pressure when determining suitability. Once a valve is fitted to a car it is subjected to various pressures that act upon the diaphragm or piston to aid its respective ability to seal or hold boost. An example of this, would be when using a FMCL007P valve on a 1.8T engine as found in the TT 225hp. The boost pressure on a "chipped" car can peak at 26psi. The recommended spring would be the Green or Yellow

i think green is for up to 15 psi and yellow is for 16 psi to 24 psi something like that it does say on the forge site, correct me if im wrong.

I'm very intrigued with this spring buisness, based on those figures anybody with a remap on an S3 should have the yellow, I think ours should be boosting low to mid 20's psi...I thought that the car could hit limp mode with the yellow spring...hell I might even have a yellow myself...

I bought a yellow sping 2 weeks ago because I thought mine had a green one in it as standard. To my suprise when I opened it there was already a yellow spring inside! I was running the yellow spring on a standard car without any problem so I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I put my brand new yellow spring in anyway and did some vag logs and my peak boost was holding at 2psi more than the logs I did a week previously but that could have changed due to outside temp, road conditions, anything like that.

Bottom line is I dont think it makes too much difference.

Ran yellow spring in standard and mapped... No probs with it. There is a noticeable difference im the spring tension though if you compare the green and yellow if you pinch them together in your hand.. so it must be effecting when it re-circs....

Ran yellow spring in standard and mapped... No probs with it. There is a noticeable difference im the spring tension though if you compare the green and yellow if you pinch them together in your hand.. so it must be effecting when it re-circs....

More coils in the yellow one I think.

On my Stage 1 Jabba mapped S3, I went from green to yellow. I am certain that there is a difference. It feels as if the car now pulls stronger higher up the rev range. A small but noticeable difference and for the £5 it cost me, well worth it.

Hope this helps,

ICE

I have green, think I'll just order a yellow one and try it, It's only a fiver, who cares if it's not any better!

Turns out I have the green spring, a yellow one is on the way so I'll let you know if it makes any difference...

The 007p I picked up and fitted today has a green spring inside it, I'll see what happens after the remap and maybe consider changing it to a yellow one being as they're so cheap (although still a complete rip off for what is JUST a spring)

This forum has been through this several times.

The spring colour doesn't effect the amount of boost you can hold. It only effects the speed at which the valve opens and closes.

I've run green springs up to 30psi.

This forum has been through this several times.

The spring colour doesn't effect the amount of boost you can hold. It only effects the speed at which the valve opens and closes.

I've run green springs up to 30psi.

Talking of which. My brother said I should remove electronic controller for the recirc valve and replumb it. Im not sure exactly what he means but apprently its something the LCR boys do to speed up the opening and closing of the valve.

Will get more info from him.

Tried the yellow spring and to be honest it's difficult to tell if there was any difference...you can tend to imagine things, what I would say though whether it's possible is the gear changes felt smoother as if boost was ready quicky but the punch faded off, there's a certain bridge I use as a guide to how my car is running, with the green spring i can achieve a higher speed than with the yellow, the car feels more torquey with the green spring...but as I said earlier I may be imagining it...however, I've now put the green one back in :)