Audi a4 cab multitronic buying advise

little ted

Reaction score
hi i am new to this forum and need some advice . i want an a4 cab and have seen this one and thinking of making the trip to have a good look at it , but i have heard a few bad things about multitronic are they realy that bad ,i know you only here about the bad points on these forums just though i would see what you think
thanks
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2005&vehicleRegLetter=55

hi
nice looking cab

i've heard mixed reviews about the multi-tronic gear box. i would personally stay away from it and either get a manual or auto box, unless you find a better DSG.

i was looking at similar gearboxes on cars for the other half (not VAG, but like Vauxhall, Toyota etc. and they all get some bad owner reviews, jerky, loss of drive etc.)

I have owned two cabs now with multitronic, and I love it. There is no jerk during gear change as there is no gear change it continuously adjusts the ratio. I didn’t want an automatic I was looking for a manual but after a test drive I was converted. I originally had the 2.4 V6 if you put it into sport and floor the accelerator the rev counter would go up to the red line and sit there and the speed would just continue to rise from 30 to 100 no jerk or change. I now have the 2.0 TFSI. In sport there is a change as the rev count drops for each gear change I assume this is to take advantage of the power produce by the turbo. However it is still very smooth. If you want to control gear change you can put it in to manual mode (although the ECU will change for you if you try and red line). My only complaint would be pulling away fast. If you are at a junction a need to go quick there is a slight delay from hitting the accelerator to the car jumping in to action. My advice would be test drive one or two and make your own mind up. AFAIK 3L and above petrol or diesel and quatros will be tiptronic, others are miltitronic (I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong here J).

Looks nice, looking at the picture it also has electric front seats

We have a A4 1.8T Multitronic Avant as one of our partners cars and have had to have it replaced twice now. (its on a 53 Reg with about 100k). Its lovely to drive but i would probably go for the torque convertor or DSG

You cant have DSG in the A4 cabrio can you?

I'd only have a multitronic if it was still under warranty and I was only keeping the car for the warranty period!

Far too many horror stories of the boxes failing when they get to 4/5 years old.