CD's jammed in head unit

S4MORE

Reaction score
Hello All

My wife has got some CD's jammed in the head unit on an S4 (04 Reg) and the error code is '3'. On these cars you feed in the CD's individually up to 6 and it then acts like a CD stacker you would have in the boot.
That is in theory!

Has anyone experienced this themselves in terms of the jamming and how can it be rectified (if at all).

One place I have taken it to have said that I should buy a new head unti and start again This seems a bit overkill to me.

I live in Surrey so if anyone knows a company that can sort this I would be very grateful. :idea:

That's a Symphony II you have - your best bet is to remove it from the dash and then remove the metal covers (start with the top one). You should be able to get to the CD changer mechanism then and see why they've got stuck (sticky label on a copied CD?) and get them out.

Might be a dead mechanism but try PetrolDave's suggestion first. Ours died after our crash but the impact was quite high.

Even if the mechanism is dead, you should be able to pick up a replacement on ebay quite cheap. A replacement would need recoding to the car.

pull the fuse for the stereo for 5 mins, then re connect it and see if it clears.

Error 3 is an unplayable disc error and the disc should be skippable on to the next one, mine fecked up but worked fine after pulling the fuse and is still fine (same 6 cd unit as yours)

The fuse is under the big end cover that faces the drivers door when open, pry it off and check the picture to find which fuse. The stereo is never really off in the a4 unless you pull the fuse - so it never resets under normal use, if it gets a weee bit confused it sometimes stays that way, like your granny lol

Thanks to Petrol Dave, Macduff and evilscotsman for your sound advice (is that a pun!!).

I will try removing the covers and the fuse at the same time.
Something should surely happen!!

Thanks again for your excllent advice