ecu software and laptop lead

Hi, the cable you have there probably needs some Serial to USB driver installing in windows so that it sees the USB port as a COM port. Then in Vagcom select the COM port that your USB cable is using. Also you have to have the ignition switched to the ON position and sometimes some of the modules arent available unless the engine is actually running.

Is there a red LED on when you have the cable plugged into the port on the car as that has to be on before you will see anything too.

thnx for teh replies guys already installed the com/usb driver that came with the lead and nothin there is a fait green glow from the l.e.d on the lead but it is very faint

i'll give the Zip file a go and let u know m8 thnx again

On one of my old laptops, after installing the FTDI drivers, I had to go into the Windows Control Panel/System/Device Manager, select the bottom one (USB controllers) and you shouold see one which says Serial/USB or something like that. Rigth click, then you can choose which COM port it maps to. This needs to be between COM1-COM4.

Once you;ve chosen one, that is the COM port you choose on the Options screen in Vagcom.

Aye windows can sometimes be silly and allocate the cable a com port number >4

As Blue says, head to the device manager and see what COM port its on. If its 1-4 then just choose the corresponding port in vagcom, if its >4 you will need to go into the properties and set it to a lower port (4 is usually safe, 1 and 2 can sometimes be real com ports on the PC) Windows MAY say "this com port is in use" when you try to move it to 4, but usually if you just say OK it will work.

ok here's the latest have re allocatedthe com port number and still no joy in vagcom even when the lead isn't plugged in it sucsessfully connects to com port 3 ?????? (could this be a serial port on the laptop) if so how do i get round this btw none of the other ports connect to the lead ????

this is the message i get when i check the ports with or with out the lead plugged in :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Photo0107.jpg

and this is the message i'm getting with everthing plugged into the laptop and the coms port on the car :sob::sob::sob::sob:
Photo0108.jpg

is the ignition on when your trying?

Post a screenshot of the device manager showing the USB device and also the vagcom config page?

You need to choose COM4 in Vagcom as that is the one you have assigned the USB adaptor to.

I don't even have the 'USB' radio button on my version of Vagcom (409.1).

yer there are two versions of 409.1, one with USB support, but that will only work with genuine cables, not the ebay ones that use a USB to serial bridge.

As Blue said, you need COM4 in vagcom, and remember it must be connected to the car with the ignition on before that interface test will work.

ive got the same lead i force dumb mode and test on usb , just remembered im on vista and run as admin change compatibility to xp pack 2