dodgy maf?

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
stripped and cleaned the vnt turbo on my tdi at weekend hoping it would solve a lack of power problem
when i put it back on there was an improvement and its cleared the 00575 intake manifold pressure fault code but its still not right, when i tried it with the maf disconnected it went like a rocket!
is this proof it needs a new maf? or is there anything else i should check first, dont mind paying if its going to fix it but cant afford to throw money away at moment
also as engine is fitted to a few vag cars would prices vary from audi vw and skoda garages?
also will it do any damage if i leave it disconnected for now?
cheers guys

ok logic tells me maf is faulty (i hope) checked ebay and copys are £50 rang audi and told new part £200 or remanufactured £80 with £20 refund for return off old one, so going with that, its been that long since its run properly id forgot how quick it is so hopefully this will sort it

deffo get the Auid one kev, had really bad experiences with Ebay copies TBH

Your logic is sound i would say, my mate had a TDi and had huge problems with vacuum pipes and a small split boost pipe across the back of the engine

deffo get the Auid one kev, had really bad experiences with Ebay copies TBH

I agree, fitted a (cheapish) Pierburg MAF to my car (sourced via Ebay) which are supposedly 'superior' to the OE ones but it never went as well as I'd have liked so went back to the OE Audi dealer-supplied Bosch one that was fitted about 12 months before I bought my car.
Has been right as rain ever since, people may say that a MAF is a MAF, but from my experience Original Equipment is best...........

all sorted, drives better than ever but so it should after getting fuel pump recon'd, renewing aux belt tensioner, disabling egr, cleaning vnt and a new maf

time for a remap before something else breaks!

slight thread hijack (sorry!) but is there a simple way of diagnosing a faulty maf on a (non-turbo) car? my car hesitates badly at anything under 2krpm, especially when negotiating mini roundabouts where it pretty much completely stalls until/unless i put the pedal on the floor. i think tuffty here suggested a while back that it could be the maf.

try unplugging it and see if its any better, mine was odd as i had two faults, when i unplugged it before cleaning turbo it was difficult to tell if it was better or just my imagination, but with the turbo sorted it was a definate improvement with it unplugged