Urgent - Offset on 18x8.5J Wheels?

Well, just went for a quick drive down the village and it's getting a little bit better...

I've still got some more plastic to chop out, but I think the metal is sorted for now!

I could probably do with raising it a little bit, but I'm not doing that in this weather :)

^^^ Did you actually completely dispense with your front plastic arch liners? :blink:

If yes, expect a visit from the Red Terror before long! :ninja:

I could, although I've hacked the arch liners to death anyway, so they'd be practically useless anyway.

I REALLY couldn't be ***** trying to raise the coilovers today... I'm not very good with mechanical stuff (as you can probably tell) and I was swearing at the car already without attempting it. Give me something electrical - OK, but spanners and muck - meh, not so much.

I'm need to re-paint the arch lips this weekend, then I'll be happy.

Oh, and whoever said it'll tramline... Yes... Yes it does! :(

i'd get your toe settings checked, as the wider wheels and track will accentuate any discrepancy

you want about a quarter of a degree total toe out on the front.

I think they'd toe'd in to compensate for the height of the car (as they couldn't do anything about the camber).

Seems to have stopped the tyres from wearing unevenly anyway.

However, I'll get it checked again! :)

tbh the camber doesnt really change by much on the front of a B5, and you shouldnt be adjusting the to to compensate for it...

Tramlining is usually caused by excessive toe out, as the toe out means the wheels steer into every rut/undulation.

Slightly better photo:

n802605327_5898751_7348.jpg

I'm going to raise the front and rear by a small amount next week - The drive to work this morning (20 miles) showed minor scrubbing through rolling undulations... Bumps were fine.

Overall I'm really pleased with them :)

My first proper photo:

web.jpg

I took it to JBS yesterday to get the cam cover gaskets and breather hose replaced and while it was in they checked out the stance and recommended I changed the 10mm spacers at the rear for 8mm ones, but apart from that, they said it was sweet :)

I've driven around loads today and it's only the rear that catches now and again, so hopefully going to an 8mm spacer should sort that.

Thanks for all your help!

big improvement!!
but to me, those wheels look like they should have centre caps.

Feels fine. Grip seems improved (you'd have thought so really, going from 205 to 235!). The ride is quite a bit harder (again, going from 55 profile to 35!), but it's not intolerable by any means.

I'm changing the spacers and raising it a little on Wednesday which should stop the rear scuffing. Everyone who's seen it in the metal has been positive about the look... And the main thing is I'm really pleased with them.

:)

I had the car raised 5mm on the coilover threads all round today (not sure what this equates to in terms of arch gap?) and replaced the nasty universal spacers with nice ones from FK. I kept 5mm at the front, but changed the rear from 10mm to 8mm.

No more scrubbing at all so far and I've been trying to provoke it.

I also had the two upper control arms on the drivers side, the lower control arm on the passenger side and both top-mounts replaced, along with re-balancing all four wheels (the vendor of the wheels balanced them by putting the weights in the centre of the wheel rather than on the inner and outer edge - apparently they should now be balanced even during cornering) and I also had the tracking done.

Quite a morning!

Hopefully that should be it for a while!

Looking good mate! Big improvement! I like a lot!

Top mounts? I dont think the B5 has front top mounts...

Err... The rubber things with a metal sleeve inside that goes at the top of the shock absorber. It has ridges around the sides of the rubber.

What are they called?

Oh and I went on a spirited trip to the local town tonight to get some shopping.

Didn't scrub once, handled like a dream. Very impressed :)

Thanks Stapo69! I think so too :)

hmm ye i think i know the parts you mean now. Dont they actually have two bolts on them to hold them onto the upper suspension mounting plate?

Updated photo of mine:

web.jpg

19x8.5J BBS LM Replicas
235/35/19 Federal Tyres
5mm Spacers at the front
8mm Spacers at the rear
Cheapo German Coilovers - Pretty Low!
Front arches rolled
Front inner plastic arch liners removed.