Not your usual DV question

I'll try a different DV this weekend but i'm 99% sure the DV is fine. The noise has always been there even when the 007 was brand new. I was thinking about what hoses are infront of the drivers side and I can only think of the two small hoses that come off the charge pipe and the main boost hose that comes off the charge pipe!

if i recall welly had a similar noise and someone had a woopie cushion noise, and it was a torn pipe thats on the turbo to charge pipe. just a thought, the noise you describe i can imagine that causing it.

How much is a new forge pipe from charge to turbo?

And do they only come in red? I want a blue one

ok cheers mate, mine looks ok to be honest, im having the charge pipe polished, so took it off to inspect it.
plus, you cant see it anyway :p

I get this 2 only after replacing the 2 pipes off the charge pipe with forge ones. I've got a forge 007 DV been told it's the turbo stalling.

This noise is not the turbo stalling, it's a leak of some type. I'm not going to bother checking the hose until the new one arrives because I dont want to make things worse but I'll let you know what state it's in when I change it.

I ran mine home tonight with the N75 unplugged and its very strange indeed. It's almost like a normally aspirated 1.8 engine but it is running a lot smoother. This is leading me to believe that my N75 is shagged but I will find out for definite tomorrow when I change it for a mates one. It could possibly be the N75 making the fluttering noise???

I'm also hoping that my forge hose for turbo to charge pipe will turn up tomorrow so I can try that too.

Right, not being funny, but does it sound like the last 2 seconds of this...

YouTube - I ate His liver with some fava beans...

... but a bit faster?

I have had a noise for the last few months but couldn't really hear it too well, putting it down to TIP cavitation. Then when I replaced it with the 3" TIP and cone filter, now all of a sudden it's really loud.

It's pretty much every time when on full boost, fairly steady until the boost pressure drops off a little higher in the rev range. Then you get the flutter which gets quicker. It's doing my head in.

I'm using a Forge 007p as well, although I'm fairly sure it's plummed in correctly.

what spring are you using. yellow spring is what you need for a stage 1 map. green is standard

I'm almost certian it's a yellow spring as I bought it from Damian at DPM.

@ Forge - have you had any similar questions on this sort of noise?

I'm 99% sure it's not the DV! I've tried a green spring and a yellow spring and I've checked the valve and it's mint. I am getting a vagcom error about boot exceeding it's limit so I am now almost certain the issue is with either the N75 or the red rubber hose that goes from turbo to charge pipe.

I will be trying another N75 either tonight or tomorrow and I have a new hose on order so I'll keep this thread updated with my findings.

have you logged boost and airflows?
would be interesting to see 002 and 118 logs under load when its doing this noise.
If excessive boost the quick chuff chuff noise could very remotely be surge.... but its not normal for a stock k04 to go into surge..

do you have a physical boost gauge in the car to see if it goes >22psi?

I've put logs on my other thread bill (VCDS suggestions on what to log). My Maf was reading highs of 192gs on a brand new maf and my boost peaks at 22psi and tails off to 19.

The noise I get only happens on the firs 2-3 times I come on boost when the car is cold. It then goes after that!

Ok here are my graphs from trying a 6 month old N75 compared to mine.

Firstly this is what my N75 looks like:

2452-photo-feb-17-22-15-35.jpg

And this is S3 Baby's N75:

2453-photo-feb-17-22-16-16.jpg

First off I put his 6 month old valve on my car and went for a blast. First thing that we noticed was that the fluttering was still there so it's safe to say that the N75 isn't causing that noise. I did a boost log and the swapped back to my N75 and did another log and this is what I got:

2450-myn75vtamsn75.jpg

As you can see my N75 is causing a bit of a spike compare to what the ECU is requesting and this is probably why i'm hitting limp mode occaisionally with the error about reaching my maximum boost limit!

We then went out in S3 Baby's car to compare a run of his car compared to mine both with the newish N75. This is what we got:

2449-westlevs3baby.jpg

He has a revo map and I have a chipped UK map and as you can see there isn't much difference in the boost readings. He has a FMIC which is probably why his turbo hasn't spooled as quickly as mine.

I never saw above 190gs (237bhp) on the MAF either. I still think the red hose (turbo to charge pipe) is the culpret so hopefully my new forge hose will arrive tomorrow and I can do some more logging.

Now does this prove that the N75 is slightly dodgy or not?

Last edited:
Ok, I now have a brand new N75 on the car and i've fitted silicone hose from the N75 to the Charge pip and the DV to the charge pipe. I also checked the turbo to charge pipe hose and there are no splits and no visible damage, however, I still have the fluttering!

When my forge turbo hose turns up i'll see if that cures the issue if not i'm stumped!

Well I believe I now know what is causing this fluttering noise........ the turbo!

A visit to see Bill on Saturday confirmed that my turbo is tired and can no longer produce decent air flow probably due to blunt blades and tired components. I believe that it is the turbo making the fluttering noises for the first few times I boost up before the oil warms up then it stops.

Only way to find out will be to get a new turbo but it's not top of my list just yet as the turbo is working just not to it's optimum performance.

I'm waiting on quotes from CR turbos but I think it's time to finally do the suspension first.