FWD to AWD there is hope

I did say this to you when you were looking for the B6.

Unlike a B5, the B6 FWD and AWD chassis are the same, only the rear subframe and fueltank etc differs, so its a relatively easy job to swap it over.

Top tip - sell the B6 FWD and buy a B6 Quattro......that looks like a sh*tload of work

a shedload? its dropping a rear subframe and bolting a new one back in, and changing a fuel tank....

I think if you wanted a quattro from the outset it would make sense just to buy one, but if you already own the FWD and have modified it extensively and decide you want to upgrade to quattro, then it makes sense to simply change the rear sumframe, tank and gearbox, than to find £n000 to buy the quattro, transfer all the mods over, and possibly have to get things painted or what have you, then try and sell your old car. compared with maybe a grand tops in parts and a couple of days work.

Similarly, if the FWD was very cheap, then it might actually still be worth buying it and fitting the quattro system, when compared with buying a more expensive quattro...

Unlike the B5 where its simply not a viable option, this shows that on the B6 it is.

Well, aragorn put it your way - I can see where you are coming from.......

But these days cars are depreciating soooooo fast that its hardly worth the bother IMHO....whilst its appreciated that the mod is possible on a B6......you may as well flush £20 notes down the toilet if you are thinking of doing that mod...unless you get the Quattro bits for nothing....

i know theres been a few people on the B5 forum recently that have been looking at it, and finding out its pretty much impossible, one of the chaps has a RS4 bodied FWD 1.8T, and in his case, ok perhaps he shouldnt have used a FWD car as a base for the project, but had he been able to do it, i'm sure he'd have jumped at the oppertunity to convert it to quattro...

I guess when you've had the car for a while and you know you've replaced all the common parts to fail and got the car into a state that your happy with, changing the rear subframe is a better option than buying another car, which may or may not need other things done to it.

Yes it may be regarded as flushing money away, but you can apply that to most modifications to cars. The way i explain it to people is that some folk like to spend thousands of pounds on golf, or fishing, people who mod cars like to spend the money on their motors. Its not done as an excercise to make the car worth more, its done to make it how you'd like it.

I was under the impression that the Quattro cars had a higher boot floor and space save spare wheel due to the extra space required for the rear diff.

I guess that information was wrong! Probably just applies to the A chassis used in the Golf etc as I remember a Bora R32 conversion being done in the US where they had to change the boot floor.

I know I was a bit caustic maybe in my inputs to the convertion from FWD to AWD......but I was thinking about it on the way to work...whilst sitting in a traffic jam....

This would be a fantastic mod to do on a 2.5TDi Convertible B6 cos I don't think Audi ever made a 2.5TDi Quattro convertible......
Wonder if the fuel tank, exhausts, etc from say an Avant or Saloon would all fit...I think the 2.5TDi convertibles only had 163hp engines, so to get the engine up to 180hp (or more) something would need to be tweaked....now that would be an awsome conversion !!!

I also got flamed when I first asked about the fwd / awd conversion, and told it was impossible.....