mac sub installation

blackwood

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just thought I'd let you all know I've just installed in my A3 one of Andy Mac's stealth subs and amp,along with some Kenwood speakers in the rear... What a difference!! Can't praise Andy enough,the installation thanks to his comprehensive instructions and quality of components supplied was spot on.Anybody wanting to improve on the standard sound system,then I can't recommend this set-up highly enough...
Cheers Blackwood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I'll let Blackwood answer the ease of install question independently.
But I use JL Audio subs, they are the only brand that seem up to the job for reasonable money.
Blackwood opted for the 6.5" although I can do an 8" version but it's nearly twice the money, and not dramatically different in performance (just a bit more low down thump)
I only use Alpine V12 amps, sourced off ebay, all tested. MRV-T505's (2 channel) for Bose systems, and MRV-F400/500 (4 channel) for non Bose, as you need 4 channels in order to drive the rears as well as the sub in non Bose systems.
PM me with what you are after and I can provide exact costs. If you give me your email address I'll send you my comprehensive instruction manual, so you can see exactly what's involved. It's not a difficult job, just time consuming. You need to drill 2 holes in order to mount the amp behind the rear speaker panel. And yes, you do need to remove the rear speaker panel and left hand boot panel.
To be honest the trickiest bit is running the power cable from the battery.
Cheers, Andy

Hi,
Following on from Andy,no massive technical knowledge is required,just a bit of common sense..Andy supplied very thorough step by step instructions as well as all the bits I needed to do the job,apart from two small "Y" leads,which I'm sure Andy would supply if you were to ask.I got stuck only on one point which a quick call to Andy sorted in two minutes.I cannot speak highly enough of the difference it has made to my listening pleasure in the car.I would say it took me about 5 hours all told,taking my time and generally enjoying my day finding out a bit more about my car.The power lead was a little fiddley,but really very straightforward,again there are lots of guides on this forum,though Andy did also supply instructions on doing this as well.I also fitted some fancy rear speakers as well(which I sourced myself).You do need to remove some internal panels from the car,again full (helpful) instructions,and very easy to do.I found it very easy and satisfying to do,the key as I say is allow yourself plenty of time.
Hope this helps,all the best,please feel free to ask me if you need any more info...

Regards Blackwood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif