Brembo calipers from Cupra R

JamS3

Reaction score
Iv'e heard that the Cupra R Brembo calipers will fit the S3's brakes. Will this be a beneficial mod providing they fit and will it be much a improvement over standard? Would the discs have to be changed to uprated ones for a better result?

Apparently you can buy them from Seat for £100..I've never asked but \I'm sure someone will set me straight.

Just when my car was in for service the technician stated the brakes are wearing and was thinking of this mod

Its a good setup for the money. You'll be paying about £500 from SEAT i reckon, maybe more.

Rich

I've heard that they are not very good on the S3 - Can't remember who said but it was posted on this site a long time ago. do a search and hopefully you'l find the thread.

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
JamS3 said:
Iv'e heard that the Cupra R Brembo calipers will fit the S3's brakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which Cupra R?
Ibiza or Leon?
The Leon versions will...the Ibiza versions are too small for an S3.

[ QUOTE ]

Will this be a beneficial mod providing they fit and will it be much a improvement over standard? Would the discs have to be changed to uprated ones for a better result?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll need the whole set up either way...callipers, mounting brackets, pads, hoses and discs.
Assuming you use the Leon Cupra R stuff...it's a damn good improvement.

[ QUOTE ]

Apparently you can buy them from Seat for £100..I've never asked but \I'm sure someone will set me straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the Ibiza callipers are about £100 eack...but the mounting brackets and bolts etc add more money.
Still reasonable...but a shade too small for the S3.

Also, the Ibiza discs are 4 x 100 and only 305mm...smaller than an S3 standard, and the wrong bolt pattern.
You could lash them up to fit...but in my view it'll end up exactly that...a lash up.
You can't go taking liberties with things as important as brakes.

The Leon Cupra R stuff will go...but last time I priced it, it was cheaper to buy the Brembo kit from AmD than from SEAT.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
I've heard that they are not very good on the S3 - Can't remember who said but it was posted on this site a long time ago. do a search and hopefully you'l find the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this depends on which set up we are talking about...

The Leon Cupra R set up as sold by AmD / Star Performance is superb.
No fade, perfectly linear, perfect modulation, work from cold etc...well worth the money,

Sure, you may fade it on the track whereas a Porsche sourced kit may not...but it's half the cost and you'll not fade the Brembos on the public road.

For £700 ish...it's a winning solution!!

I've just fitted the Brembo kit to my S3. I sourced it from a guy who had taken them off his S3 before selling it.

The drilled and grooved discs were shot, so he had bought some standard Seat items to sell them as a kit.

Even with the standard discs and a set of Mintex pads they're a vast improvement over standard. They just have so much more bite, not to mention feel to the pedal. Well worth the money IMO.

Jam, if youre not going to start and do track days, and youre only a local A road driver like me, then I'd say that the Brembos are what you want.

I'm all fixed up now so I'll give you a ring next week and you can have a go and feel for yourself. Just get prepared to spend some money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Excellent Paul!

Looking forward to it....not the spending money part though!

Oh and thanks everyone else.

Ess Three I did mean the Leon setup, cant believe I forgot to state which one!!

I blame just coming off a week of nightshift for that!

[ QUOTE ]
JamS3 said:

Ess Three I did mean the Leon setup, cant believe I forgot to state which one!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I gathered that would be the one you meant...

[ QUOTE ]

I blame just coming off a week of nightshift for that!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly how you feel!