Screech on start up

mike_plymouth

Reaction score
Hello guys, iv been having a few problems starting the car recently aswell as loosing water from the water pump which is getting to the point of 2 litres today. well im getting the water pump and cambelt done on sat but im also having probs with starting it. its been taking a long time to fire up and when it does it screeches for a second.
i replaced the starter motor yesterday and that has literally fell apart inside so i fitted a new one and starting it up was perfect. it started after a second and was silent, i was chuffed as i now wouldnt have to sit in sainsburys petrol station with my car failing to start and screeching with everone looking at me.
Well this morning the car is still starting perfectly but the screech has come back and i have no idea what this is?? could it be the clutch on its way out or what. its not a big issue but it is annoying.

Hi , i have the same annoying problem with my a3 1998 1.8t that 2sec screech sound on starting,but it alway starts 1st time.Was going to buy new starter motor but wasnt sure if that was the problem, i thought i was over cranking the engine by holding the ignition key to much, may be ignition switch on back of key barrel? like mike plymouth said its not that much of a big deal ,its everone looking at me.
someone must of had the same problem and sorted it any idea are welcome .

the screeching is your starter motor sticking. its a common problem so you need to get a recon one.

could it be the clutch release bearing??? i do find it strange that it went away for a day then its came back again.

Its the air con compressor/belt/clutch whatever I cant remember 100% name lol but it is this, it goes away doesnt it, straight away after few seconds of starting, if you turn of the air con or on it then also disappears, its not a problem really as had on my 8L S3 for a long time & it never failed, the cam & water pump should be done asap as 2 litres a day is ridiculously dangerous interms of engine going

well today has been the fastest that it has been loosing water, im replacing the cambelt + kit with metal impellor water pump, water temp sensor and radiator and il prob change the themostat while everthing is out. its just a case of waiting til the weekend now tho.

auxcillary belt i read somewhere mine has the same problem from time to time only in the colder weather.

if yourr loosing that much water its probally getting on the aux belt causng it to slip and screech. If its new then it should stop when the pump and cam belt are done.

hi, iv jus been outside and had a good listen and its deff coming from the starter/ gearbox/ flywheel area. as i said its a brand new starter but could it be faulty??
the old one only did this 50/60 % of the time and that was knackered inside but this new one was silent yesterday but today everytime is start it up its screeching.

Have you tried turning the aircon on/off when it starts making noise, just try it to humour me please as mine did it everytime aswell & turning aircon on/off resolved that & didnt go faulty at all

sounds like the pin isn't pulling back fast enough and is getting caught. Could this happen?

sounds like the pin isn't pulling back fast enough and is getting caught. Could this happen?

id take back that starter motor if its brand new and get them to test it m8. like i said, its common problem and its a starter motor issue

the startes in these are known for the bush at the end of the spindle to spin in the housing, i would be tempted to remove the new unit to double check this has not happened already

helo guys, thanks for all of your input. i took the starter out and took it back to GSF and fitted that one. Same thing happend, it was not as loud but still screeching so i went to a independent shop that refurbs starters and alternators. fitted that one and PERFECTION. and the best news is it was half the price at 60 Quid than the GSF model. Whoop. Thanks again

Cool, result glad got it sorted out, funny cause mine was exactly like you said but only happened in conjunction with aircon, anyway who cares fixed, next, lol

bit of an epic next, jus had a cam, waterpump, thermostat, coolant sensor, radiator, petrol filter fitted last sat.
Next sat im having ARB bushes, Droplinks, Strut top bearings and Bushes and Rear Brake Pads fitted.
Im not sure if it would be worth fitting new wishbones too jus so its all done?

helo guys, thanks for all of your input. i took the starter out and took it back to GSF and fitted that one. Same thing happend, it was not as loud but still screeching so i went to a independent shop that refurbs starters and alternators. fitted that one and PERFECTION. and the best news is it was half the price at 60 Quid than the GSF model. Whoop. Thanks again

lol yeah i knew it would be the starter motor. no worries. glad its sorted :)

Just got my car back from audi and this noise has started on mine, they replaced the engine speed sensor so i guessed it had something to do with that. But being the starter motor it probably is not anything to do with the work they did. Oh well more money to spend!