ABS Throwing fault Wheel Speed Sensor

SonicDeathmonkey

Reaction score
I have finally got vagcom talking to the abs. It's throwing the following erros, which reappears when I clear it.

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 614 111 A
Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS 5.3 QUATTRO D10
Software Coding: 0273004284
Work Shop Code: BB 24334
1 Fault Found:
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Right (G44)
30-00 - Open or Short to B+

Any idea what this means?

First thing I'd do would be to check the connector under the rear seat squab, make sure it's all in place.

Then unplug it, and check the 2 pins for continuity - the sensor end, not the coaxial going to the front of the car.

Have you done any live data checks via VAG-COM? With the car rolling, you should get readings. If you get none from any sensor, and continuity checks with an ohmeter come up fine, then renew the offending sensor.

Cheers. Erm, just one question thought, what the hell is a seat squab?

I didnt do a rolling test, just cleared the error, started the car and the error came back.

I dont have a multi-meter or anything to check it out, but the car is due an MOT. I cant see it passing with the ABS light on, so I may just get the garage to change the rear sensor. I assume when VAGCOm says rear right, it means drivers right?

^^^ Correct, as per side.

Rear seat squab is the lower part you sit on, as opposed to the backrest.

I have finally got vagcom talking to the abs. It's throwing the following erros, which reappears when I clear it.

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 614 111 A
Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS 5.3 QUATTRO D10
Software Coding: 0273004284
Work Shop Code: BB 24334
1 Fault Found:
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Right (G44)
30-00 - Open or Short to B+

Any idea what this means?

You've got the same ABS module as ME!!!! That's a first!!! Good luck...

Some time ago, my old ABS module went bang. BB<whatever>reman sent out a refurb unit, so I doubt this is the same model as the car was manufactured with.

That's interesting news. I'm sourcing a replacement part with a slightly different p/n so I'm hoping that shoudl work.

do you not need some type of code to match a new entire unit? or is it a simple swap out part

I think I had the original part number, which I supplied, and BBSReman replaced, with the old unit staying with them.

The cost to replace the ABS sensor, MOT the car ( with bulb and brake hose replacement) was only £200, so I am happy. Car is tip-top again now!

The garage mentioned something about a "cone" or "spring loaded mechanism" that keeps the sensor in place. It may need to be replaced. Anyone have any ideas?

The fronts have a little copper sleeve that sits in the hub and the sensor sits inside it, perhaps the rears are the same on a quattro?