Occasional boost cut out

S3 L33

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive had my '99 S3 for nearly a month now and all was good until i took it in for a service. Now sometimes when i put my foot down it will hold boost then cut out for about 5 secs (no power when foot is down). I took it back to the garage and they plugged it in and it said there was a faulty maf. I replaced this and all was well until last night i put my foot down in 3rd and it done it again, only this time it lasted a bit longer. I slowly got it to my friends house round the corner where there was like a burning smell from somewhere and then engine was struggling to rev (while stationary). A minute later the car was fine and i was on my way again. This is startin to bug me as i was hoping the new maf would sort it but its fine most of the time just occasionally does this in boost??

Any help much appriciated

have you tried a new DV...the first set of symptoms seem to suggest that, or look for a split or collapsed breather pipe under the Throttle body

thanks for the reply, its got a not too old forge dv on the car so wouldnt have thought it was that, as for the breather pipe under throttle body ( i presume you mean the hard plastic one) it was cracked when i got the car and got the garage to replace this with the service, but the car ran perfect before with the cracked one?? weird

Vag com is the best option, any codes since the service?

The only code after the service was for the maf which has been replaced

what was the code, as alot of things can cause the MAF to throw a code...I had a dodgy coilpack and that indicated everything under the sun!!!

not sure of exact code, it cant b nothing too serious i hope as it doesnt do it all the time but when it does its like the car doesnt have a turbo then a bit later its fine

had a similar fault which turned out to be a faulty coil pack, would hesitate at around 3k rpm like a stutter then take off, sometimes it was there sometimes not. The coil pack eventually went after about a week of normal driving. I changed all mine for new and kept 2 of the old with a matching part code as spares. (just in case !)

cheers jamie just been lookin through a few old posts and the coil packs often turn up. how much are they each? would it not be logged when plugged in to VAG?

I believe coil packs are around £30 a piece and fairly easy to change yourself. I currently have this very problem. Boost seems to die and struggle at around 3-3.5k rpm.

I have it in at Midland VW at the moment, so should have a verdict tomorrow morning, so ill keep you posted.

ok mate let me know how u get on, ill take it back down the garage tommorow see if any new codes have come up, was slightly concerned about the burning smell yesterday when i was trying to rev it in neutral but have not smelt it since

Thats possibly because youve melted whatever was burning haha! Ill let you know the verdict tomorrow, have a feeling its something to do with either a split hose or the DV!

Well, had a call from midland vw and its all good news. There was merely a poorly fitted pipe at the back end of the engine bay somewhere causing the car to misbehave, and a dodgy N249 was being a bit mischevious too. So a refitted hose and a bypass N249 later, all is well :) Not bad for £30

always good to hear that some garages can be honest...I think alot of mechanics sense fear and go for the big solutions. I think Audi must do a training course in it!!! - Look for the nervous twitch, and the anxious voice, and we can get £700 quid out of him no probs...