Looking to buy!

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
not having much luck in the A8 and general forum so i thought i'd try here....

I'm looking to buy a V reg A8 3.7 V8 quattro from a mate.
just want to know if there is anything i should be looking out for.
the car has an LPG conversion on it also.
body and interior are all sound. has done 122k and has 2 previous owners.

please advise.

thanks

Most important thing to check on any V8-engined A8 is the automatic transmission.

It's a weak point, and several have been sold pretty cheap for all sorts of auto issues, ranging from electrical faults - my friend's 4,2 Quattro Sport is on its third ECU, and second auto section of the transmission.

They were replaced under warranty - he's had the car from when it was 9 months old.

An extensive road test - and I mean a LONG one is essential, make sure all gears shift up / down smoothly, with no judders.

You must also have the car scanned for error codes, especially in the transmission side of things. Sellers have been known to remove the CEL bulb, or "modify" the wiring, (linking it to alternator) so it goes out once started...

^^^ I agree.

The 3,7L 32V is under-powered.
Rated at 230PS, it's 20PS down on the original 3,6L 32V V8, which was rated at 250PS, and was still considered lacking.

The 4,2L 32V gives a more useful 300PS.

only looking to buy for a bit of fun and then shift it after a few months.

it's on LPG so i guess it wouldn't hurt the pocket too much either.:redrs4:

only looking to buy for a bit of fun and then shift it after a few months.
so it must be a damn good price, so you can sell on without too much of a loss if any.

not having much luck in the A8 and general forum so i thought i'd try here....

I'm looking to buy a V reg A8 3.7 V8 quattro from a mate.
how long has he had it, hopefully he is a good mate and would tell you if anything is wrong with the car?

Sellers have been known to remove the CEL bulb, or "modify" the wiring, (linking it to alternator) so it goes out once started...
THAT IS JUST PLAIN NASTY!

bet you have seen them all Siena.

how long has he had it, hopefully he is a good mate and would tell you if anything is wrong with the car?

He's had it for about 9 months. it's got a few minor problems but he's going to send it into Audi and get them fixed before sale. he's looking to sell around mid jan early feb so if i end up buying i'll put up a post.

watch this space.....