Timing Belt

Rachael

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on changing the timing belt.

Got an 02 plate S3 with 65k miles. Its due a service and MOT in a couple of weeks and when I phoned to book it in, they told me the timing belt is due to get changed as well. I've read some other posts, and I should have had this done by now. Is there any warnings that the timing belt is going to slip / snap? The last thing I want is for that to happen, I'd rather go and hire a car until I can get the work done than take a chance with it. Also, I noticed tonight that the engine temp was only going to 80 instead of 90 as normal. Am I ok to use it for another week / approx 300 miles or should I get on the phone to Enterprise?

Well as far as i know there is no way to know if it about to go thats why they do it by age/mileage. I had my 2001 tdi done last year on 83k for the first time as far as i know. Also ive known 10 year old cars on 50k miles which havent had it done its so hard to tell.

There are no visual checks to see if its about to go.

But its hard to say it will be ok. I personally would drive it for another week but its always a risk.

Yep I could run it for the 300 or so miles and be ok. Or the timing belt might go and I'm up s**t creek. Will phone a couplr of garages tomorrow and see when they can do it.

Is the low engine temp anything to do with the timing belt?

Also, I seen a few other posts that I should get the water pump and tensioner replaced too. Do I need to ask for these to be done or will they do it as part of changing the belt? Is it worth getting the coil packs changed at the same time too?

low engine temp is probably due to to thermostat get this done whilst getting cambelt changed, audi will take your old water pump in exchange,if i can remember parts were roughly round 220mark with auxillary belt and few other bits n bobs

No need to change the coilpacks unless they are broken and the car is misfiring.
I'd ask for the water pump and tensioners to be replaced as the garage may not do it as standard. Its worth doing because they are fairly cheap parts and easy to change at the same time as the cambelt so they don't add much extra labour costs.

The low engine temp wouldn't be anything to do with the timing belt. If there is an issue with temp its usually one of two things. Thermostat or the Temperature Sender. There is plenty of information about these on the site. Both parts are around £20 and not difficult to replace, so even at a garage they shoudn't charge much.

Most places will do the tensioners anyway as it comes as a kit with the belt but i would double check that they will do the pump, its definatly recommended to get these all done at the same time.

Not sure about coil packs wouldnt have thought so.

And i dont think the low engine temp has anything to do with the cambelt.

good luck youll be fine

Should I ask for them to replace the thermostat as well then?

Should I ask for them to replace the thermostat as well then?
I would, if your temp is going up towards 90 when stuck in traffic and decreasing whilst driving then defo thermo and you should get it replaced.

I think I will get the thermostat done as well. I don't often have to sit in traffic, but when I do, the temp gauge does go sky high. And recently, it goes below 90 when driving at 60-70. Another thing, every morning when I start the car, the engine temperature warning light comes on.

Got my car booked in for a service, change plugs, MOT and timing belt change on 5th Jan. Is it ok to leave the thermostat done for another couple of weeks too?

By the sounds of your symptoms I'd suggest changing your temperature sender as well as the thermostat. The temp sender is only £20 and you can swap it out yourself..no need to pay a garage to do it.

ok, will phone the garage back and get the thermostat and temperature sender done as well.

Garage changes the tensioners and water pump along with the timing belt, so just have to keep my fingers crossed between now and 5th Jan.

I'm assuming the garage will do the coolant/anti freeze when doing the service / timing belt change? Apart from checking oil and tyre pressure, I don't know much about cars!

I'm also getting the plugs changed. This car is costing me a fortune!

I'm assuming the garage will do the coolant/anti freeze when doing the service / timing belt change? Apart from checking oil and tyre pressure, I don't know much about cars!

I'm also getting the plugs changed. This car is costing me a fortune!

They replaced the coolant on mine when i had a full service and cambelt change

Yeah its not cheap but once its done then you should be ok for a while, the cambelt will bump the price up a fair bit.

Coolant isn't normally included in a service unless specified, but when you change the cambelt and water pump together then obviously it will be included as they will have to drain the old coolant out to change the water pump.

I just thought i'd mention it in case you were sourcing the parts yourself from the likes of GSF or Euro Car Parts.