NAVI QUESTION!! IN CAPITALS TO GET ATTENTION!!! I LOVE THE ATTENTION!!! EXCLAMATION!!

Quick one - if I currently have a 2007 disk and have done the 0660 SDS Hack am I right in thinking that (for reasons I don't understand) if I insert a 2008 disk the SDS will cease to work ?
Seem to remember something about this but I am tempted by Marc's find on French eBay. Anyone ?

08 firmware wont install as its 650 firmware if already got 660 SDS hack, so the rns will think its old firmware, so what you will need to do is force the firmware via vagcom to the 650 firmware update from the 08 discs, then apply the 660 firmware update again so you have SDS again, with later firmware say 670 of the 09 discs no doubt imminent you would update the firmware with the 09 disc as normal then go in & amend the SDS firmware text file to show the next firmware up number from the 09 one, so say 09 shows firmware 670, you rename in the SDS text file as 680 so it sees updated version & installs the firmware, ok?

It cant be my drive, just checked it using DVDinfopr0 which shows it writes DL dvds ok:

It really is fussy over the type of DVD burner used and the type of media - if you fancy a long 52 pages of reading, I'd take a look at the long thread over on audiforum.us here.

Quick one - if I currently have a 2007 disk and have done the 0660 SDS Hack am I right in thinking that (for reasons I don't understand) if I insert a 2008 disk the SDS will cease to work ?
Seem to remember something about this but I am tempted by Marc's find on French eBay. Anyone ?

no need to do anything. the 08 disc comes with 0650 which is what you are running Iggu (even though we called it 0660 when you aplied it), so it wont try to update it. Even if you were running it at 0650 it would not try to upgrade to the same version. the only time you would need to apply the sds hack in the future is if you buy the 09 disc with sw0700 on it. what i would usually do in those circumstances is apply the sds hacked version of the new firmware before inserting the new map dvd so that version numbers are the same. i know this can also be achieved by enabling the downgrade option with vagcom but my way is easier.

having said that, I was running the sds hacked 0650 before i bought my 08 disc and just inserted the 08 disc when it arrived and didn't need to do anything as my sw was already at the latest version.

Almost what my post 43 said then.

But I thought the SDS hack was just some additional files not inclusive of the 650 firmware that the RNS saw as an update anyway, I'm gonna ask Haaggie@audiforum.us about this as stands to reason what you're saying but interested to know which it is, then can build SDS updated version soon with new firmware

Yeah, I saw your post but just wanted to clarify that no update was necessary for anybody already running SDS hacked 0650\0660 and that inserting the 2008 DVD will not cause an update to run. There is also no need to force the update as you would just be downgrading to the non-SDS version of the sw already being run.

They are not additional files. The existing files are modified to create the SDS version. There are additional SDS files on the Nav DVD which the unit uses for the nav data that the non SDS-hacked SW units won't read as it doesn't know what they are.

Haggie won't tell you anything different than what I've said. As soon as 0700 comes out I'll do the same as I did with 0550 and 0650 when I installed them.

Thanks Nigel and Marc - looks pretty stress free this so will order a 2008 Frenchie today I think. Good stuff.

Just to let you know, I got DVD unreadable when hot too, even with an original DVD. Letting it all cool down would get it working again. Replaced the laser in the drive and it has been fine ever since - apparently the new lasers are less fussy about what media they write too.

The heat issue is caused by the old type of lasers not reading the disc well enough and they keep moving back and forth to try and read, and create too much heat....

Chas

hi im a newbie on here just got the rns-e sat nav today, but apparently i have the wrong navigation disc,ive emailed the person i bought it from and they said they sent me the wrong disc and will send me another 1 out,thing is it took 2 wks for satnav to arrive,can anyone tell me were i would get another navigation disc from please

if i may ask, since am in the process of buying one also from ebay, who did you purchase it from??

Might have one for sale shortly if interested.

Might have one for sale shortly if interested.

sounds nice, my baby is scheduled for delivery mid-nov, so i have started my research on buying on let me know when you are ready to sell it.

hi i bought the satnav from ebay the seller is called navigation.corp

Try and source a unit to match your build year, I shelled out the extra dollar for an 08 Nav unit, cant remember why, but it must have been of some significance..

maybe to get it supplied with a newer map? didnt work for me, mine is a 2007 model but came with a 2005 DVD - they had knocked the firmware back to 110 so it would work LOL

I'll have a go with my superior Mac, using one of my superior quality DVDs and then go test it in my superior standard S3.

I'll let you know when it doesn't work for me either.

Make a disc image with Toast (on your superior Mac!!) then burn it back to a DVD+R DL at the slowest speed available.