NS rack leaking

locker

Reaction score
Quick question, I have a 98 1.8T and have a leak from my NS track rod end, I have recently had the track rod replaced and it is still leaking so it cant be that seal, is there another internal rack seal or is it new rack time?

P.S How much are new racks if I have to rob a bank to get it fixed?

Cheers

Paul

both please, just so I know how much to expect.

if the rod end is leaking, just get a new rod end

I have just had a new rod end put in it, thats why i was wondering if it could leak from anywhere else as the garage has said it is new rack time.

Well where is the leak from? You said it is from the track rod end, suggesting someone who put the new end on nicked the rubber bellow that protects it's ball and socket and now it is spewing grease out.
You dont say what is leaking, if it is power steering fluid then it cannot be the track rod end, but could be rack seals or more likely the pipes or unions.

Are you losing pas fluid, if so how much.

If it is grease from the track rod end, get a new track rod. The A3 and golf racks (mk4 golf) has replacement inboard ends to the track rod too, but again these are ball and socket arrangments and are only replaced for "play" in them, not for "leaks".

I think you need to tell us more about the position and nature of the leak. If you need a new rack, a proper audi one may be difficult to find, I sold one to a member on here as there was a massive backlog of orders for them!
You can get a recon rack, but they are rubbish IMO. You can get the rebuild parts from audi / vw/skoda etc and they are proper parts that replace the inbord (ie rack ) end of the track rods.

Tell us more, or better still get a photo. If you get a new audi rack it will be c450 supply only. A recon one is about £225. The replacement inboard end from audi etv are about £85 for the pair, and its about an hour to fit them.

But if you track rod end (near the wheel) is leaking, it is about £20 and 10 mins to fit.!!