fitting fmic - any info please

thanks Sits..... ive been looking at a few on fleabay around the same size...... how easy would it be to run pipes between the existing SMICS, fitting one of these between (keeping the fogs)

This has been bugging me for such a long time I finally got around to taking the bumper off my car today.

I don't reckon this one has any hope of fitting without serious buggering around!

thats the whole cooler, i did a serch on here and found this to be the size most people use when doing there custom made, im pretty sure the inlet and outlets are 76mm to forgot to put the link to where im getting it from opps here we go http://www.amber-performance.co.uk/info.php?i=278

I took some pics and did some measuring I thought was worth sharing, however I've realised I should have done even more now. I want to keep the fog lights and generally make it look totally oem so was just measuring the space in front of the air con radiator.

I reckon you could fit a 56cm wide, 36cm tall and 60mm deep intercooler in without any cutting at all. Or a 47.5cm wide, same height and 70mm deep that's total space available.

The standard ones cores are 17cm x 19cm x 85mm which was actually larger than I thought they would be.

DSC_0007.jpg

Loads more here:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/bparkes/Intercooler/

Someones been a busy boy!! I suppose the hunt is on for a universal FMIC within your dimensions, I'll have a nose around see if i can find one!

Slightly to small

Slightly too big

Maybe fit with a tiny bit of trimming

I think that cutting will be required otherwise cooler will just be too small.

It's good to get everyone's ideas on here, as we all know the S3 FMIC's are a rip off and if we come across a good set up our selves I'm sure quite a few will be interested!

anyone else got any ideas or found a cooler? or comments on which of the above might be best?

try the intercoolerking on ebay that where i got mine 450x230x65 you can also get 450x300x76 from someone else to keep the fogs use 51mm pipe work instead of 63/76mm

dont think from looking at those pics that it will be easy keeping the SMIC's lol, damn fine work taking those pics.....

my thoughts are (which ithink ev1 else is at) that you need one big enough to make it worth replacing the SMIC's which dont look small

I'm going to have another look (as soon as I get time) at what's available, Bell intercoolers do a core that's the right size but again I'm guessing after fitting end tanks etc. it'll get pricey. There are some on ebay that might be worth a look and if you could space the mount of the crash bar forward slightly (which I believe someone on here had done) then it might mean fitting a 76mm deep ~ 450 wide core would be pretty straight forward.

I'm probably going to take everything apart again and either buy one of the cheap ones and see how it fits or make up some out of card / wood to see what will really fit and how.

It's not hard to get an intercooler thats got a bigger surface area than the SMICs but it depends how much volume you want to increase, If you could get something that filled the 56cm wide, 36cm tall and 60mm deep space it's over twice the volume of the two side mounts!

This has been bugging me for such a long time I finally got around to taking the bumper off my car today.

I don't reckon this one has any hope of fitting without serious buggering around!

I took some pics and did some measuring I thought was worth sharing, however I've realised I should have done even more now. I want to keep the fog lights and generally make it look totally oem so was just measuring the space in front of the air con radiator.

I reckon you could fit a 56cm wide, 36cm tall and 60mm deep intercooler in without any cutting at all. Or a 47.5cm wide, same height and 70mm deep that's total space available.

The standard ones cores are 17cm x 19cm x 85mm which was actually larger than I thought they would be.

Loads more here:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/bparkes/Intercooler/

well my intercooler arrived this morning, and spent my lunch hour fitting it to the car and its all up and fits lovely just need to raise the hight a little to fit the pipe work in where the two side grills are, hopefully my pipe work will arive tomorrow then i can fit that and all will be done, so aslong as you brave enough and dont mind a grinder then you can fit a big cooler, supose it deppends what you want im not bothered about the fogs as they just blind people and arnt very functional where as a big front mount will actually serve a perpose

Kev, when your done, could you post exactly what you needed to fit your fmic? :)

Kev, which core did you go for in the end? Is it the one you posted above at 100mm thick? Can you post some pics?

Thanks for that, what's the quality of the cooler like? I can't wait to see pics. How did fitting go with the depth of the core?

the quality looks good but guess time will tell but does looks good, fitting went ok i havent re-fitted the crash bar yet but its all cut ready so hopefully tomoz ill have the cooler at the right hight and fuly fitted in place with crash bar back on,

well finally got my intercooler fitted up all level and in the correct position, now just the pipework to route through tomorow when i get to collect them from the local delivery office as they are in cabable of leaving my parcel where i asked as a safe place, ahhh.

anyway heres some piccys of where im at so far;

003.jpg

005.jpg

i used some 90 degree angle metal to make a solid level braket

006.jpg

then i made up a suport bracket underneath to stop the cooler flapping around

007.jpg

i then trimmed back the crash bar so the cooler would fit behind it

008.jpg

the final look with the crash bar fitted

004.jpg

i then had to trim the bumper insert where the fog grills would have gone to allow room for the pipework, im hoping to have this finnished tommorow or thursday as i still have loads of other little projects to do this week

oh yeah the top pic isnt me its my gimpy work mate who's helped me loads actually

well, it looks like the crash bar has lost its function.. ?

well, it looks like the crash bar has lost its function.. ?
yep its lost alot of the strength but its not a crash bar for major acidents just minor dings to help stop further damage to the coolers such as air con condensor and radiator its not weakened the strength of the overall chassis or major crumple zone so im not concerened,

plus if you notic i actually cut away alot more then necassary so if you was to trim away the bare essentials then there would be hardly any diference in strength

yep, i see.. just waiting for the pics with all the pipes and bumper mounted now :)

kev sweet pics, cheers for the effort to show us :)

so got my pipes to day except the 90 degree elbow reducer from 3 inch to 2.5 inch but as you can see in the pics below its very nearly there now, oh and need some nice clamps to hold the pipe and hoses together, the pipes i got were the perfect size to so no need to mess around chopping to size if anyone is wanting to make the same cooler

0012.jpg

0022.jpg

the large gap between the pipe and the joiner above is where the 90 degree elbow has to go

0042.jpg

and then its the same on the other side

then it looks like this with the bumper back on

0052.jpg

so here is a list of what you need;

-ths type 4 intercooler
-viper performance hoses and pipes
~ 2* 90 degree 3 inch polished pipe
~ 2* 90 degree 3 inch hose
~ 2* 90 degree 3 inch to 2.5 inch reducer hose
~ 2* 2.5 inch hose joiner
~ 2* 3 inch hose joiner
~ 2* 3 inch hose 120mm long, i used one 250mm hose chopped in half
~ 10* 3 inch hose clamps
~ 2* 2.5 inch hose clamps

http://www.viper-performance.co.uk/index.php

http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/

http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/mikalor/

havent added all together yet but just a shade over £300

Thanks for all the info Kev, you just saved me 300+ (i was thinking about going for the forge kit earlier) :)

Originally i didn't want to cut the crash bar but after what you said about it, i'm now not to bothered i think, as for the fogs I'm still not sure, if a cooler is fitted with smaller pipes, i think someone mentioned 50mm, will the fogs fit in then?? As for the work you've done it;s great to actually see a good guide for people to go by other than the Forge kit!

THANKS!!! :kiss:

you could always run the pipe work up side down as danclarke has on page 1, not sure if smaller pipe work would work onthat size cooler as its the length of pipe you need to join to the bend then theres th length of th bend in the pipe think to mount the cooler the normal way up the only awnser would be to use a smaller cooler but then your not going to get the full benefit as surface area isnt going to be increased as muchthus less cooling

sorry mate wanted a fmic for a while but wasnt sure how to go about it then i saw yours, yours looks like you have more polished pipework though,

i hate people who copy one off ideas to so i hate myself, but it looks soo good just had too

Do you have pics with the last hoses fitted?

na i like it chrome lol, suits the wheels and mirrors lol

yeah they arrived today actually just waiting for some jubilee clips that i should have for tomorrow then i shall have the job all finnished

just out of curiosity,what are the gains to be had from fitting a larger intercooler?i have bin looking at the forge ones but they are very very pricey

Looks like you have an oil cooler or two there chap, got any more information or is it just because it's actually warm occasionally in Spain?

Hi, yes on passenger side there is a 13 row oil cooler and also we have installed a fuel cooler (diesel).

Obviously Spain is warmer than the UK, so we needed to change SMIC to FMIC in order to improve performance with the new hybrid turbocharger. In the other side, diesel cooler prevents injection lack when diesel temperature begin to rise up.

Sorry for my bad English