buyiny an S3... What Spec?

copland

Reaction score
Hey up all, I know its my first post, but after looking at loads of threads I am even eager to get my hands on a new toy....

I have never bought a brand new car before and am having trouble choosing the extras that I want.

this is what I am thinking about

Flat Bottomed Multi function Steering Wheel
Privacy Glass
Bose Stereo
I-Pod Console - do I need this? is there not an ux input as standard in the glove box?
Bluetooth phone Prep in arm rest
parking sensors

for those of you that already have one, is there anything you wish you had added at the time, or even could live with out?

coulor wise I am torn between black, with split black and white seats

or sprint blue with the same combo for seats.

I know its down to personal taste at the end....

Any advice is appreciated, worst thing for me is that I will probably be dealing with aberdeen..... i read that people on here were getting up to 8% discount, I might have to get a quote elsewhere to give some leverage!!

cheeers in advance

Flat bottomed steering wheel is now standard, as are xenon lights and front centre arm rest/
Other things you should definitely order are:

- interior lights pack
- gsm phone
- folding mirrors
- bose (others may not agree!)

Yes there is an aux input on the standard spec but it's by the handbrake. The ipod dock is in the glovebox and has the added bonus of charging your ipod and giving you control of it via the stereo.

Oh and I couldn't live without RNS-E but I would retrofit as it can be done for only £500 approx.

haggle with the discount, 8-10% is achievable.

Hello and welcome. Good choice in car :rockwoot:

FBMFSW is now standard on the S3 so you don't need to worry about that.

Privacy glass I didn't get and wouldn't have. I'm not into having two different tints on the same side of a car but others are, it's down to personal taste. If I only wanted B pillar back tints done I'd much rather get them from the factory.

Bose is pretty much a must unless you plan to rip out the stereo to fit something else anyway.

Ipod console I wouldn't bother with. It's a lot of money for not much. Your car would come with an Aux input next to the handbrake so you can plug any mp3 player into it. You don't get control from it though. Not a massive problem for me, but you may not like that.

Bluetooth prep I have and is a must also. You need a handfree kit if you want to use your phone in the car and avoid the cops. The factory fit is very good and does all I've ever needed from it. Plus if you retrofit RNS-E (sat nav) it works with that too.

Not got rear parking sensors. Because I can drive:whistle2:

The colour will be your toughest choice though mate. I spent literally months trying to decide. I went from black to blue to orange to blue! You simply need to see an A3/S3 in the colours and decide.

Good luck!

As above really. I don't have an S3 but i recently spec'd one up to get quotes. My spec included:

Bucket seats (which i think should be standard on S and RS cars anyway but nevermind)
Interior light pack : Makes a subtle but noticeable difference.
BOSE : Unless you're into your ICE and want to start retro fitting speakers, amps etc definitely worth having.
Symphony : In retrospect i wouldn't spec this again. Get the standard Concert unit and retrofit either RNS-E or a quality aftermarket yourself.
Electric folding mirrors : Just saves hassle, but i'm lazy. I think you look a bit of a cheapskate folding them in by hand on an S3!
Rear parking sensor : Not really neccessary but when you're wedged in between 2 cars it's a godsend.

So really the only 'must have' in my opinion is BOSE, if you like your music but not ***** about retrofitting afterwards. Depends how well spec'd you previous car was. If you didn't have parking sensors, light pack, folding mirrors etc. you won't miss them.
The facelift is quite well spec'd anyway with heated seats, flat bottom wheel, xenons etc as standard.

The S3 is all about the driving anyway so you'll be happy whatever you spec. Good luck.

i've been doin a bit of searching......

found two that i could get asap, without having to wait....

the first is

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=501847503

the second is

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=600347335

i am totally torn... got a test drive of the 1st one this afternoon, so will see what sort of deal we can get.... it looks along the lines of the spec i am looking for.
the rear parking sensors are for the wife..... she has even managed to prang the golf with these fitted!! ha ha

Look ok but make sure you knock them down heavy cause you can get around 8/9% off a new one

IMO the main thing to get right is the colour. Within reason you can get a lot of the other stuff added afterwards. I spent so long choosing a colour. I finally decided on Sprint Blue with it being an S exclusive colour and when i cancelled the order an Ibis White came up with everything i wanted and more so i went for it and i would never look back, it looks the nuts.

Like everyone says though, personal choice.

i'm not goin to rush into anything, going to see what one is right for me.

cheers with the info with regards 8-9% off a new one, can use that as a wee bit of leverage.

For me you would have to get a seriously good discount off both of those cars. I spec'd mine with Elec sunroof, Bucket seats, sat nav, Folding mirrors, Rain and light, Bose, Interior light, Flat tyre, Phone prep and had a free paint protection plan (just swapped that for part payment on a tracker) The cost for that was just over 30K

the test drive went well, but i can't get them to budge on the price. so i think i will keep looking!!!

going to price up a brand new one, see what price and delivery i get. will post my findings,

Thats a shame, im surprised they wont budge at all if you are willing to walk away. I suppose they are just waiting for an innocent customer to come in who isnt aware of discounts on new cars.

just had a price,

i can get an S3 in metallic paint (not chose my colour), bose, bluetooth in armrest, multi function steering wheel, heated seats, thru luggage loading (i play a bit of golf),

for 27,500.......

against a pre registered of 26K...... only thing is the lead times!!

i am also looking at the sportsback, gives me extra room an there is the chance of sprogs as well....

decisons decisons.... anyone else had a price better?

don`t get phantom black, it does look great , but looking after it is a bitch (personal opinion). should have stuck with white. nevermind. :blink: