dumpvalve problem???

mrmattholmes

Reaction score
Hey, got a 97model A3 1.8t

standard dumpvalve packed in so i bought a dumpvalve off ebay (forge)

its an atmospheric twin piston one, ( i know you all reccomend re-circ's but i want abit of noise :))

any way, i fit the blanking plug in the air intake..

fit the dumpvalve to the metal boost pipe at the back of the engine and fit the vacum hose.

It is not dumping at all ?? it does blow off ever to slightly at real high revs but hardly

what can cause this??

you do know your affecting your cars performance fitting this...also VAG com will flag up errors as a consequence of the non reciculation.........

The VAG 20v Turbo engines need the air to be recirculated. If you're wanting it to run correctly and also have a bit of noise then i'd fit the Forge 007P with a CAI.

Damian @ DPM

we dont know because we are not stupid enough to fit one!! you will see errors coming up soon, probably when it starts 'blowing off'

Have you connected it up to the right pipes?

If you connected it wrong then it won't have any pressure to dump.

well the recirc has 3 pipes going to it, one from the turbo, one to the inlet pipe and the small pipe to the solenoids. If you connected it to the inlet pipe and the small vacuum pipe then you wouldn't have any pressure to dump. So you have connected it to the pipe FROM the turbo and the small one, haven't you?

As others have said you are asking for trouble!! But as for your question as to the lack of "blow off" I would contact Forge if I were you. Their customer service is excellent. Valve maybe faulty, in whihc case they will proably offer to look at it and fix it FOC, unless it has been messed with before. .
Was it new or 2nd hand of the bay?

Jesus guys, you need to give matt a break! It's clear from what he's posted that it's fitted the correct way, it clearly states how he connected it correctly in his first post!

Also, an atmospheric dump valve on an AGU is not a problem at all really, it will cause it to over fuel on gear changes, but this just results in a few pops and bangs, and POSSIBLE long term damage to the CAT.

the AGU has no post cat lambda, and isn't as sensitive to these sorts of changes.

I've run my AGU with an atmopsheric DV before, AND indeed with NO DV at all and all the holes plugged.

Both times it ran perfectly.

The only reason I can think of for it not venting much is perhaps due to the lack of boost? The AGU only boost around 6psi as standard, so doesn't have much air to vent. If the spring is too strong in the Forge it may be hardly opening.

Are you getting compressor stall at all?

I love it when people who actually know the answer to a question answer it without any judgement.

Jesus guys, you need to give matt a break! It's clear from what he's posted that it's fitted the correct way, it clearly states how he connected it correctly in his first post!

Also, an atmospheric dump valve on an AGU is not a problem at all really, it will cause it to over fuel on gear changes, but this just results in a few pops and bangs, and POSSIBLE long term damage to the CAT.

the AGU has no post cat lambda, and isn't as sensitive to these sorts of changes.

I've run my AGU with an atmopsheric DV before, AND indeed with NO DV at all and all the holes plugged.

Both times it ran perfectly.

The only reason I can think of for it not venting much is perhaps due to the lack of boost? The AGU only boost around 6psi as standard, so doesn't have much air to vent. If the spring is too strong in the Forge it may be hardly opening.

Are you getting compressor stall at all?

I dont think we are giving him a hard time..... hes getting honest answers from several view points...

what i will say is that your comments suggest that the DV is a pointless item..... either pointless or to very little benefit. Cant honestly believe that the recirculation has no benefit at all...did you run your car on a rolling road before and after the DV, did you run it when you had atmosheric?..... feeling that theres no difference means nothing with these cars because of the many factors....ambient temperatures etc etc

I respect you Prawn but what your saying doesnt ring wholey true to me, it sounds like an ad hoc comment that has no backing other than your 'feeling' theres no difference

well tTm, if you think more deeply about how the turbo works, then the presence of a dump valve will not make any difference to performance!

with a dump valve fitted, be it atmosph or recirc, when you release the throttle, the throttle plate shuts. as the turbo is still spinning, pressure builds up before the throttle plate, and as the engine is still turning, a vacuum forms after the throttle plate. this vacuum is tapped with a feed to open the DV, which is in the presurised part of the system between the turbo and throttle flap.

This vacuum feed opens the DV, and excess pressure is vented, releasing the build up between the throttle plate and turbo.

The reason this needs to be done, is because when the plate closes, a wave of pressure goes back through the turbo, causing the turbine wheel to stall. This is of course compressor stall, and can be very bad for the bearings, thrust bearing in particular. Compressor stall is the 'cool' sound so many turbo cars make when backing off. On larger turbo's with a more manly shaft, it's not a big issue, but on ko3/4 applications, it can cause damage.

Of course, how much damage depends entirely on how much boost you are running.

There is also the issue of spool up time. With a DV in place, compressor stall does not occur, and as such in normal driving, spool up time is reduced between gear changes.

However, many people believe, that when going full throttle, there is a slight advantage to not having a DV, as when reapplying the throttle there is already pressure in the system. It's a strange arguement, which I wouldn't like to get into!

So, that explains the need for a DV. on a standard AGU at 6psi, you can run with no DV all you like, and the chances of getting a problem are VERY minimal.

Recirc; the recirc system simply takes the idea 1 step further, so instead of venting to atmosphere, the DV vents back into the air intake, after the air flow metre.

This allows the car to more accurately control fuelling, as it knows exactly how much air is in the system at any one time, and can fuel accordingly.

With an atmospheric DV, the MAF based audi engines assume the air is still in the system, and fuel for it, hence the over fuelling issue when fitting an atmospheric DV to a MAF based closed loop system.

Thats also not really an issue, apart from passing unburnt fuel into the CAT can kill it over time.

That said, I've been running with a CAT since I've had my car, and I've run it with a recirc, no DV, and an atmospheric, and never had any cat problems in 48000 miles. My current ko3S setup with a miltek 200 cel cat over fuels a fair bit even with the forge 007P, and it's not hurt the CAT yet.

You guys must remember that the AGU engine is TOTALLY different in so many ways to your S3 engines, It's much more simple, has NO boost sensor, and only 1 lambda.

you can feck around with it a LOT more and it's not so fussy.....

a valve that dumps air will indeed work on an agu due to only one lambda probe prior to cat, BUT, as mentioned, it will dump air that has been metered by the MAF into the atmosphere, rather than recircing it, meaning the mixture does go a bit wobbly.

With a map on, and car set up a bit richer than stock anyway, dont think part throttle and off throttle richness will only give a pop and a bang! It can cause bore wash if only a few fractions off the stoichemetric ideal, which can kill a set of rings in not many miles at all!!
Anyway, I would get Forge to check it out for you, and if it ok, consider moving it on on the bay, if it is broken, at least they can fix it then you have options!!!