Uprated air filter?!

barters3

Reaction score
I want to uprate my air filter as i am servicing my 2001 s3 (210bhp).
I was going to go for a k&n panel replacement, that was only because they are a well known company and i dont know much about any others. Can anybody recomend any others or will a k&n do the job?

pipercross as they dont come oiled = maf friendly!!!

doesnt pipercross use foam filters (the ones that require oiling) where as k&n are cotton?

if we are talking panel filters then none of them should require oiling as theyre not open to the elements like a cone filter is

Have panel Pipercross filter, oiled it (spray about 1 foot away from filter) very lightly and never had any probs, easy to clean also, altho to be fare they stay very clean, mines covered at least 25k now!

i have a pipercross one and have never oiled i just hoover it out has been fine for about a year now

i noticed a darf-vader suction noise when i first fitted it, but now used to it lol

ive got a bailey dv30 recirc valve on mine which is pretty much silent but the pipercross panel filter gives it a little bit more of a woosh noise,if you want sound difference get an induction kit,my green cotton induction kit sounded awesome but for some reason when i had it fitted my car would only have peak boost of 0.7 bar and with the panel filter which i had fitted before hand it now peaks at 1.0 bar again

i have a BMC panel filter (cotton).

I found that replacing the standard DV with a forge item 007, replacing the panel filter, replacing the TIP hose with a Samco item & getting a remap caused the egine to make all sorts of cool noises ;-)

keep it standard mate, they don't let so much muck through the filter, hence not worth the money IMO

Green cotton panel filter is the way forward.....
nicer sound than the standard filter....
I did originally have a pipercross foam filter, but was told there *****, and little bits of grit over time can weave their way through !!
which = not good.....

keep it standard mate, they don't let so much muck through the filter, hence not worth the money IMO

Seconded. There isn't anything better than the standard panel filter if replaced every 10K. None of them will give you any more power, just a different induction niose.

Seconded. There isn't anything better than the standard panel filter if replaced every 10K. None of them will give you any more power, just a different induction niose.

I agree here but I like the different induction note of my Green panel filter.. Sounds like darth vader breathing heavy

Mine has a K&N induction kit, was on the car when I bought it.

Makes quite a loud sucking noise when you give it some but i've been after a standard airbox for a while, not a fan of induction kits really. It also tends to give it quite a bit of chatter when you let off...

Ive never given much thought about cleaning mine.
So I simply undo the screws and hoover the filter?

Mines a bog standard 8L 1.8SE. If thats the case I will give it a bash this weekend.

i dream of a carbonairbox from bmc. you now the cia one. it just looks so beautyfull!! but the say ist a maf killer.. :crying:

Ian WMine has a K&N induction kit, was on the car when I bought it.

Makes quite a loud sucking noise when you give it some but i've been after a standard airbox for a while, not a fan of induction kits really. It also tends to give it quite a bit of chatter when you let off

did you want a standard airbox? as i have a spare

Induction 'roar' sounds a bit corsa special to me, i'd rather pay a few £ for a standard one every 10k than fit one that could kill my MAF or even worse, engine.....

i've had K&N's before in my earlier driving days, but they were on lower value cars... Standard is the only option if you value your engine

I have the 'Jabbasport' Induction kit with heat shield, it's a lovely bit of kit which looks the part and sounds real good too, but was real pricey at £235 smackers and there is no gains to be expected.

It been on the car for about 8000 miles now & I have n't had any grief with the MAF, which can be caused by the oil on the cone filter.

I think that if you buy an uprated filter and you check, and then clean the filter with an air line or something like that a couple of times a year you should be fine.

Thou the Green Cotton Panel Filter does seem quite popular on here.

:o.k:

I ran a BMC on my S3 for nearly a year with no MAF issues. GruppeM make the best S3 kits as they're shielded and they still use the original air inlet.

hi ChriS3,
how did you install the supply hose for the bmc cda filter? somwhere at the front?
or on the original? do you have a pic?:sign_pics:

I am having my 1.8T Quattro serviced next week and also am looking to get a new fillter, I am assuming they are the same as the S3?

I have read lots of good things abou the Green panel filter, anyone know best and cheapest place to get one?

By the way, I am quite a fan of the chatter sound!

I saw the Jabber one on a car at a show last weekend, looks well cool, amazing the £££ they cost but no power gains tho :huh: