New Brakes

ttandka

Reaction score
Evening all,
The time has come for me to replace the brakes (front and rear) on my lovely 2000 A8 4.2 quattro sport. Just wondered if anyone had replaced/upgraded theirs recently and wouldn't mind sharing a bit of advice??

Take it easy (unless the road is long, wide and open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
Tony

I'm Just about to change my fronts as I have managed to warp my discs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I am going for EBC Red stuff pads and EBC discs (same style as satndard).

Right are you sitting down.......

You actually have the same brakes as the S8 apparently where as mine are a tiny bit smaller, so I gave my mate a call to get the prices for you.

They are:
Front Discs (Turbo Grooved) £220.00
disc.jpg

Front Pads (EBC Green Stuff) £122.50
greenpad.jpg

Rear Discs £86.50
Rear Pads £32.45

If you are interested give Motech a call on 01933 316066 and ask to speak to Boyd. He should be able to give you a bit of discount off that if you mention speaking to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am going for the red stuff pads as I tend to be quite heavy on the brakes, its up to you (red stuff are a bit more I think)

Mmm... The discs from the stealers are a fraction of that for my old 8 (£20 odd). The brakes are cr@p in my car, is this what I need?

Thanks for that. Prices aren't really too bad. Popped into my local dealers (Bath) and they were quoting £40 for the discs on the front, and about £110 for the pads....rears were pretty much the same as Motech's.

I might just go for the red stuff, as I too can be a little heavy on the brakes. (going slow isn't much fun in these beasties!!!)

[ QUOTE ]
Matthewbaldry said:
on my car it has the two piston (4 pad) calipers on the front

[/ QUOTE ]

Matthew, is this the correct way around?

Same caliper as the S4, with 2 piston sliding caliper and 4 pads per side.

Personally, I cannot reccommend trying to upgrade the system with pads alone, as the design of the OEM disc is terrible leading to over heating and stress cracking on the disc. The caliper is equally poor, giving very uneven pressure to different parts of the disc which means uneven pad deposits and the wobbly brake pedal sensation.

I tried OEM discs, then OEM discs which had been heat treated and machined, but to no avail (this was as the aftermarket disc application was very limited at the time). I can only imagine that the S/a8 will be worse due to the greater kerb weight.

I now have the stoptech front brake conversion which although not cheap provides tireless, reassuring braking from interesting speeds. Pedal feel and modulation are improved dramatically as an added benefit.

Hey Matthew. Have you checked out www.amdtechnik.co.uk for prices???

disks £81 each (inc VAT)
Greenstuff pads front £134 (inc VAT)
Greenstuff pads rear £34 (inc VAT)

Redstuff fronts £155 (inc VAT)
Redstuff rears about £41

Mind you there's always the porker kit @ £1475 to consider (HAHHAAHAHAHAAAAAAAA)

There site has left me a bit confused as some of the model-year listings dont tally up, S8 model years and the fact that they have listed All A8's twice for example. As I understood it your 2000 4.2 sport had the same brakes as the 96-98 S8 I think. Almost every price I have given you above is better than the prices on AMD website, with the exception of the disks, but my mate can supply you with the
turbo groove discs, but he can supply the same style as standard its up to you. Those prices I have given above were reetail (inc vat) I believe. give him a call and see what he can do for you.

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Same caliper as the S4, with 2 piston sliding caliper and 4 pads per side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone got a diagram of this set up?

OK guys, here we go. I spoke to several people this week about EBC disks and pads. Apparently EBC don't actually provide any disks for my mota, they list them, but don't produce them!! Feck!!!
Looked at JBR they seem to have a very good deal on Brembo kits, e-mailed today to see if they have one for my beauty. Although I don't want to spend that kind of money, it looks like if I want some uprated braking performance, then I just might have to.

AMD do offer a solution, in that they purchase standard Audi disks, which are then sent to an associate company who then harden them, these can then be used with the likes of the Red Stuff pads, without being eaten. Cost? £650 ta very much!!

I'll keep you info'd on what I decide to do.

Cheers for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I would seriously advise you to have a word with Boyd, that ebc disk thing dont sound right to me as I was under the impression that your calipers were the same as the early S8 ones. (01933) 316066 ask for Boyd, bit of an expert when it comes to EBC, then you will know for sure.

WOW!!! At last someone with some decent product knowledge!!
Spoke to Boyd, ordered at the same time!!!
Standard disks front and rear, Redstuff pads all round. Should be getting them fitted Saturday, so I'll let you all know how they feel...

Thanks for the contact Matthew......

Thanks for the quality service Boyd!!!!

OK guys, had my new disks and pads fitted at the weekend.....here's what I went for:

EBC Front & rear disks...standard style, not grooved.
Redstuff pads front and rear, new ceramic compound

Total cost £350!!!!!!!
How do they feel?
Now I've bedded them in, they feel wonderful...the brake dust is massively reduced, the brakes certainly stop me a lot quicker, and it didn't really hurt the bank balance too much!!

Thanks again to Boyd @ Motech, and Matthew for the lead.
One satisfied customer.....oh and for all those who have had noisy brakes....the noise has now gone from mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif