Water damaged engine

j4g3d

Reaction score
:confused:Ok i have a question for 1 of you techy guys and i need a serious answer.

Im getting my hands on a merc next week its worth 15k but the engine has been completely flooded by water im guessing it was nose diving into a river or something. Anyway all electrics work but it dont start... it does turn over tho.

What doyou think would need changing? I think it definatly has a bent conrod which ive had a quote of £900 to replace.... Other then that? any guesses if it would do the job?

The problem with water damage hits you later. If you sort out the damage caused by the aqualocked engine, all will seem ok BUT water damage can cause oxidation of the electrics which will not be evident until on.

Slightly off topic but the same thing:-
My wife once dropped my canon digital down the bog, and it didnt like it to say the least.

Im lucky in that my mate repairs cameras for a living so off I went.

When I told him what had happened he said that he wouldnt even attampt to repair it as it would bite him in the **** later.

He showed me another camera that had water damage and even though it had been dried out the electrical contacts were completly corroded days after the event. Now anyy camera with water damage is instantly scrapped and they wont even bother to look at it, knowing what will happen later.

Now a camera isnt the same thing but imagine all those electrical connectors in the car than got submerged. At least when its starts playing up later you will know what the problem is.

Be cautious

Simon

I saw one recently up north 56 plate E280 mechanic i took said their not worth the hassle because you will have to spend some serious money on diagnostics and the fix will never be guarenteed to be perfect