FYI - Coil Failure on Import s3 - out of warranty

camichm

Reaction score
Thought I would let you know of my experience this week of a coil pack failure on my S3.

Arrived back to Gatwick with wife and baby, drove from the carpark and the engine warning light comes on, car splutters - coil pack failed. After being towed back to London, thanks AA, I dumped the Car at Finchley Road Audi overnight.

They looked at the car next day (v.good), identified the coil pack issue and replaced it (v.v.good) and then charge me £75 (not so good). So I phoned Audi customer services, they informed me that they are only managing a recall on UK cars, coil packs should be replaced at the next service. Imports are not covered in this. For a UK car you do not need to be in the warranty period, they will replace all 4 coils, however it is up to the dealer for imports. However they did agree to phone the dealer.

I phoned the dealer back and explained this and that my expectation was that this was a global recall and I would not like to be charged for this even though my car is just out of warranty. They discussed with their warranty department and have now replaced all 4 coils as a "Good Will gesture" at 0 cost to me. They also did this on the same day.

Very please with Finchley Road Audi this week.

Matt.

Matt, this sounds typical of large companies playing on peoples vulnerabilities and trying to save money. The fact that they won't cover import recalls is plainly nonsense (especially if the recall is one dictated by a safety issue). However, you have to wonder how many people will pay their price and not question it therefore saving Audi UK some pennies.

It really annoys me to hear garages trying to exploit their customers, glad you got the job done without too much greif.

Glad you found the time to post this useful info here for others in the same position.

The coilpack should have a letter at the end of the part number on top.

If it is J or L, then you have the revised & fixed version.
I had the H, which was the last of the bad un's !!!

There was no warning at all when mine went, but thanks to this forum, when it went I know exactly what the problem was!!

The problem is an insulating problem on the pack, mine was Oct 2001 model, so anything soon after that should have the good one's!!

I have a 99 S3 that has never had it's coilpacks replaced. Does it have good ones or bad ones? I never got the recall for the rear suspension arms either.

Neil.c

My 99 S3 had the recall for the rear suspension arms. As for the coil packs, I bought my car used from an Audi stealer, so I can't say if mine were changed, never had a problem with them though (touchwood).

Joe

Well I'll be testing Finchley Road Audi's policy tomorrow.. Warranty expired dec and its an import..

IIRC the Tech. Bulletin was for ALL vehicles equipped with (IIRC) the "F" revision coilpacks. The new ones being "L". So if your coilpacks have gone and they are NOT "L"'s then I'd argue that they should be replaced FOC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif