Tramlining?

steveg9

Reaction score
Ever since collecting my A3 in January, I've been a little uneasy with what feels like tramlining, over lane joints, white lines etc. But trying to consciously assess it when it happens, the feeling is more like lateral movement at the back, a sort of wiggle you sense under you. It also happens sometimes if one side of the car goes over a bump. Is this normal, just how 225/45s behave? The dealer can't find anything unusual.....

Mine is fine... only tramlines when I drive trough rails for the electric train we have in Oporto (you might not understand what I mean...)

Pedro

I find the back of my car to be a bit skittish over manholes. Sounds similar to what you are experiencing.

Returning for a recent holiday in Italy, I did notice quite a lot of tramlining. It was very noticeable when driving in the 'slow' lane on the motorways. This is the lane which gets deformed by the heavy trucks. Tyres are Pirelli 225/45 ZR17 19W. Any advice or words of wisdom from other members? Is this to be expected? :racer:

I find the back of my car to be a bit skittish over manholes. Sounds similar to what you are experiencing.

I find the same on mine, whenever i go over a manhole or a bump on one side of the car i can feel the rear of the car slide.

yup, its pretty normal with wider tyres, my subaru was appauling for this, much more noticable with lower levels of tyre tread than when the tyres were newer

You wanna try driving a 44 tonner on the M6 tram lines in certain areas ! At some slip roads they are that deep you struggle to get out of them. When you do the whole tractor/trailer outfit rocks all over the place.

UK road repairs = ****** useless government

When I 1st got the A3 it felt soft in comparison to my last car :lmfao:

P3030014.JPG

The ride on that was back breaking and it tramlined like crazy :racer:

Looks like it's normal....... Not great but at least there's (probably) nothing loose underneath!! The tyres btw are P Zero Rosso's. They do have a very longitudinal tread pattern (but so I guess do ContiSport 2 and 3, or Michelin Primacy HP

Any recommendations for when I need new?!!

I've just had new set P Zero Rosso's and still doing it,might put down to new tyres at the moment.
:anbet:

Try messing around with the tyre pressures. I used to run the fronts of mine a couploe of PSi harder than the stadnard pressures.

Just do a bit of experimenting, wont cure it but may help eleviate it.

J.

Same with my A3 and also my previous golf which was the same chassis

I think marriedblonde has the right idea. I run the front at the full load pressure as this helps with tramlining and turn in. Found you do need to us a good tyre pressure gauge as the filling station ones are sometimes well out.

Dont know if this helps but on my BMW 320d it tramlined like crazy. Tried the tyre pressures, changed the tyres and turned out to be faulty ABS sensors on each wheel! Dealer replaced and problem solved but not sure if the A3 has them?

Gav

I was speaking to a guy with an rs6 yesterday when i was getting my new p rosso's fitted. He said they tramline badly and wear in the middle so run them at a lower psi.