S3 SPEED ?

s3-josh

Reaction score
Iv just got my first S3 and am totally happy with it !

it feels nice and powerful until tonight, when i started to wonder if something is up...

my freind has an mgzr 160 (160bhp) and hes a loony driver but even on a straight bypass we where just about neck and neck?

could something be up with my s3? its the 210bhp ?

Probably not, the additional weight & transmission losses could amount to similar power at the wheels to the ZR however i would expect the S3 to be quicker than a ROVER

really?

i still would have thought i could have a 160 mgzr...? :(

Mate you should woop an mgzr easy, i have a 210 chipped and i destroy my mates tuned civic type r bad which are a lot quicker than an mgzr. Get it checked mate.

yer but yours is chipped !

hmmm i think i might have to...

anyone else know any info? whether i should be thrashing it?

Mine is in standard form and i woop MGZR's all day long, sure you giving it enough boot?

yep flooring it mate...

i'm starting to think there could be something wrong with my turbo?

Where are you from, im sure there will be a fellow S3 near you that you could compare with?

Can't a dodgy MAF cause a reduction in performance, might be worth checking that mate !

I beleive you can just unplug it, if it drives no different with it unplugged then its probably knackered ! - thats what i've read on here anyway, never had to try it so far.

high wycombe, Bucks...

my freind has an s3 but its running 360 bhp so no point testing with him haha...

this is so depressing considering ive only had it two days :(

Defo something wrong IMO. I've never had a go with an MGZR but my brother did in his old Accord Type R, he beat that and I beat him in a drag race!

If you can't beat an MGZR in a straight line in an S3, you clearly can't drive bud.

I'm only kidding, sounds like something is wrong, hope you get it sorted soon. ;)

Try the maf mate, mine was like that when I bought it, even though it had just been replaced by Audi!!! :)

when i had mine for the first week i got my *** kicked royally by an S2000, although it would ordinarily have beaten me (as im standard), i hadnt got used to the six speed box which made a difference....from my experiance you have to change sooner than you realise.....

i just spoke to some helpful guys down at fontain motors...

i think i might book it in for a full check and if its all fine(ish!) ill try the 5 hour revo tester...

i take it they are not so good ?

ive heard from some freinds they know their stuff about audi ?

erlier i think there was a tad of white smoke coming from the exhaust too... perhaps my turbo needs seeing too :O

I was killed by a Astra GSI last weekend but it was dumping and i diont think thats a standard gsi ?????

s3 al said:
Mate you should woop an mgzr easy, i have a 210 chipped and i destroy my mates tuned civic type r bad which are a lot quicker than an mgzr. Get it checked mate.

No it shouldn't! He is talking higher speeds, these free revving VVC units in Rovers and Civics etc come into their own at higher rpm and higher speeds.

There will not be much in the flat out revving the tits of them performance of a good mgzr 160 and a 210 s3, but the s3 will have far more torque, and be easier to drive quickly without thraping the nuts off it.

I got 144mph on the gps out of our rover brm (151hp) in Germany and it flew up to 135 really easily. My k03s golf (241hp) got 146mph on the same stretch same day. So not a lot in it, them Rovers being lighter and with lots of revability are surprisingly quick. Top speed is all about how much power is being made at the revs at that top speed. My golf had about 120hp more at 5250 revs than the Rover, but at top speed say 6300, the difference in power is maybe 30-40 hp only.
If you remap your S3, it will be far better through the gears acceleration wise, and be quikcer quarter mile etc, but you will only gain about 3 or 4mph on flat out top speed. Thsi is because at flat out top speed revs, c.6300+ say, a remaped car and a stock car will not make massively different power figures (due to the turbo flowing capabilities at those revs). Now down at 4500 revs, the remapped car may make 40percent more than the stock one, hence far better in gear acceleration.
Dont worry about your mate's ZR, you will overtake him once his head gasket goes.........unless your coilpack or MAf go first!! LOL

May be worth getting it on Vag Com and see if it brings up any error codes

Im not bothered about beaing the mgzr to be honest!

just wanted to check my car was performing right!!

im planning a remap as soon as i acquire the cash anyway !

s3-josh said:
i just spoke to some helpful guys down at fontain motors...

i think i might book it in for a full check and if its all fine(ish!) ill try the 5 hour revo tester...

Id personally be careful with the revo tester, seems to be that if you get the revo test then decide to go CustomCode or GIAC etc then they have a ballache overwriting the coding

s3-josh said:
Im not bothered about beaing the mgzr to be honest!/QUOTE]
I would of said its was Punto or Nova instead of a pimped up Rover :eyebrows:

Kiteyboy said:
errr.....do a search on fontain on here....think you will find better places to take it?

I've used Fontain a few times and don't really have a bad word to say about them, they've helped me out at short notice and haven't done a bad job. Were also reasnobly priced.

No it shouldn't! He is talking higher speeds, these free revving VVC units in Rovers and Civics etc come into their own at higher rpm and higher speeds.

There will not be much in the flat out revving the tits of them performance of a good mgzr 160 and a 210 s3, but the s3 will have far more torque, and be easier to drive quickly without thraping the nuts off it.

I got 144mph on the gps out of our rover brm (151hp) in Germany and it flew up to 135 really easily. My k03s golf (241hp) got 146mph on the same stretch same day. So not a lot in it, them Rovers being lighter and with lots of revability are surprisingly quick. Top speed is all about how much power is being made at the revs at that top speed. My golf had about 120hp more at 5250 revs than the Rover, but at top speed say 6300, the difference in power is maybe 30-40 hp only.
If you remap your S3, it will be far better through the gears acceleration wise, and be quikcer quarter mile etc, but you will only gain about 3 or 4mph on flat out top speed. Thsi is because at flat out top speed revs, c.6300+ say, a remaped car and a stock car will not make massively different power figures (due to the turbo flowing capabilities at those revs). Now down at 4500 revs, the remapped car may make 40percent more than the stock one, hence far better in gear acceleration.
Dont worry about your mate's ZR, you will overtake him once his head gasket goes.........unless your coilpack or MAf go first!! LOL

this is all pretty funny, do u honestly think a mgzr 160 can keep with a s3, those high revvin rover engines are ok uptill around the 120mph mark where they die away same with all the high revvin vtecs, my mate owns a tuned ek9 but it still struggles at around 135mph.

I have been in a good few s3's now and they all seem to get to the 150mph mark,:rock:

this is all pretty funny, do u honestly think a mgzr 160 can keep with a s3, those high revvin rover engines are ok uptill around the 120mph mark where they die away same with all the high revvin vtecs, my mate owns a tuned ek9 but it still struggles at around 135mph.

I have been in a good few s3's now and they all seem to get to the 150mph mark,:rock:

Speedo on my s3 at 150mph is only 138mph GPS.
Speedo on my BRM at 135 is 132mph!

Dont beleive all your speedo readings first of all, even GPS will be out if you are on inclines.

I have S3 and BRM on the driveway right now. Whatever you may think, one up to 120mph, stock S3 and a good VVC rover dont have a lot between them, (for the reasons I previously explained). S3 will get there quicker (probably less than a second quicker to 100mph though) and will get there easier, with less frenetic revving and with a wider power band.
Having had my stock S3 to 151 mph on gps in Germany, I can assure you whilst it got to 140 relatively quickly, the final 11mph took about 8-10 miles.......!?!?!

Same stretch, same day k03s golf and Rover BRM had about 3mph in it!! And K03s golf (on the drive as we speak) is quicker than my stock s3 was.

A decent gadge in a "good" VVC powered lightweight MG zr will give an average gadge in a 210s3 a real hard time. I mince up all manner of hot audis (lot hotter than S3!) on track in my BRM all the time!
Haha. I remeber at Castle Coombe, a guy in a 330hp Sunny GTIR that I had bee crawling all over and flashing to get out of my way came over in the pits and said "Jesus Christ, what have you done to that.....!?"
His face was a picture as I replied "put some air in the tyres!"...... Oh and a 380hp Twint turbo Supra span off in front of me at paddock hill bend same day at over 100mph as he was determined not to be passed by the boggo stock green Rover......

Get a good VVC motor in a car weighing about 1000kg and they fly! Remember, lotus used the K series in the Elise, the car that transformed the failing business into a proper manufacturer..........

Im not far off the 170 mark on a good build up on GPS

What revs is that at ?? With stock gearing S3 even with BT will struggle after 160 as it runs out of revs.

You should be able to escape the Rover there are rev points when they couldn get close at the lower end however you should pull it of easily,

Driven both, so just my 2P.

I can get 162 from mine on the GPS, though, that is it and I dont like staying there for long just long enough to annoy 155 Limiter cars :nyah:

Speedo on my s3 at 150mph is only 138mph GPS.
Speedo on my BRM at 135 is 132mph!

Dont beleive all your speedo readings first of all, even GPS will be out if you are on inclines.

I have S3 and BRM on the driveway right now. Whatever you may think, one up to 120mph, stock S3 and a good VVC rover dont have a lot between them, (for the reasons I previously explained). S3 will get there quicker (probably less than a second quicker to 100mph though) and will get there easier, with less frenetic revving and with a wider power band.
Having had my stock S3 to 151 mph on gps in Germany, I can assure you whilst it got to 140 relatively quickly, the final 11mph took about 8-10 miles.......!?!?!

Same stretch, same day k03s golf and Rover BRM had about 3mph in it!! And K03s golf (on the drive as we speak) is quicker than my stock s3 was.

A decent gadge in a "good" VVC powered lightweight MG zr will give an average gadge in a 210s3 a real hard time. I mince up all manner of hot audis (lot hotter than S3!) on track in my BRM all the time!
Haha. I remeber at Castle Coombe, a guy in a 330hp Sunny GTIR that I had bee crawling all over and flashing to get out of my way came over in the pits and said "Jesus Christ, what have you done to that.....!?"
His face was a picture as I replied "put some air in the tyres!"...... Oh and a 380hp Twint turbo Supra span off in front of me at paddock hill bend same day at over 100mph as he was determined not to be passed by the boggo stock green Rover......

Get a good VVC motor in a car weighing about 1000kg and they fly! Remember, lotus used the K series in the Elise, the car that transformed the failing business into a proper manufacturer..........

mate am sure ur a gd driver but come-on you have drifted from a 210bhp s3 to 300+hp gtir and almost 400hp supra, the vvc motor is gd but only when its in a metro :p the only high revvin 1.8's that s3 owners should fear are b18's from the jdm dc2 and 200hp vvtli from the M sport celica aint i right MR ALs3:moa:

:haha: ha ha yeah especially supercharged celicas!! All i was saying was if the day comes when a little fool in an mgzr beats me in my s3 is the day i will put it up for sale. :thumbsup: