any info on 1.8t quattro

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hello, just a bought stolen/recovered 1999 1.8t quattro saloon and it has a few things wrong with it, any info would be greatly appreciated

1. grinding noise from rear above 40mph goes when changing direction, does this sound like a wheel bearing? (i hope so)

2. has wrong c/l pump no remote function (checked with vag-com), anyone know last letter on pump that should be fitted?

3. need new seats, no airbags fitted in ones in at mo. i think it should have half leather, but fixed or split folding rear bench? dont think ill find original seats anywhere so will avant seats fit or just saloon

4. needs wheels, anyone know what size tyres and the offset of original 17" wheels ?, fitted with 15"s at mo and they look silly!!!

5. finally how is the extra bhp (180) acheived, engine internals or management, what will they chip to

car was a impulse ebay purchase, i already own 2 b5's, but always wanted a quattro, car drives perfectly apart from noise and clock says 48k so hopefully ive got a bargain, thanks in advance for any help

Welcome aboard!

1) Sounds like rear wheel bearings, replace BOTH, not one, as if one's gone, the other won't be far behind.

2) Remote central locking pump will be 8L0 862 257P or 8D0 862 257 E. I'll need a chassis number to confirm, you can send me a PM.

3) Half leather was standard in 1.8T Quattro Sport, rear benc should be split. You need saloon backrest, unless you feel like fabricating.

4) Wheels should be 7.5"x17" ET 43 - 45. Tyre size should be 225/45x17

5) Extra 30PS is achieved via software, and probably a K03-S turbo, as opposed to a K03.

thank you, your car looks awesome by the way,
ive got an 'e' pump in my pre facelift avant i wondered why it unlocked but left alarm on if you used the key and not fob, will try it in this
ive got full leather in my 1.8t fwd but it has a solid rear bench but will try it and see if i can get a cheap cloth interior to replace before i sell it
cant wait to get it sorted, even keeping below 40 mph and on 15" wheels/balloon tyres it felt brilliant to drive

Hi
Ther are two TQS being broken for spares on Ebay.
One is with motorsinmotion the other is a private breaker. No wheels i'm afraid as i've tried that one! But as for interior and other parts tap em up you might b lucky!
Steve

cheers steve

id already spotted 'm in m' one, no luck interior already gone
you dont remember other seller's id by any chance cant find any others

had a good look over it today needs a few more bits, front spoiler, inner front wheel arch liners, correct rear bumper, leather handbrake handle, managed to get a set of 16" 5 spoke b6 alloys not a mark on them and pirelli tyres £100 on ebay, guy forgot to add photo so no other bidders:) , anyway ive put these on my old 1.8t to sell and kept my 17" star wheels for the quattro but needed 5mm spacers to clear at back, will change tyre size next time i need some

I have 2 sets of front wheel arch plastic liners, if you're still interested?

great how much? need the bits that connect between bumper and liner first dont suppose youve got any of them, thats why it needs new liners they were just flapping about and tyres have burnt right through them, cable tied them for now
wouldnt happen to know standard softcode for facelift locking pump would you

Wheel arch liners are fine, the leading edges that connect to the bumper are intact.

£30 for the pair.

Not sure what the coding on the CL pump is, will soon be replacing mine too.

spending saturday visiting local scrap yards, if i cant find any ill pm you, cheers, pump working, didnt realise you had to hold boot button to open it

After an AMD Stage II remap with Milltek resonated exhaust mine went from 183 to 221 bhp (both measured figures). Torque went from 185 to 226 lb ft.

I hesitated for ages before doing the remap as I thought it might make hardly any difference and be just wasted money... however, I couldn't have been more wrong. The car feels LOADS faster and you now have to be careful with your right foot on roundabouts..:)

sounds like fun,
stage 2? is that chip with exhaust as opposed to just a chip? or more to it than that, is the quattro system purely mechanical?, equal or more power to the rear wheels?

Hi olds_kool,
Stage 2 is a remap and the Milltek exhaust (Stage 1 is just the Remap).
The quattro system on that A4 (if I remember correctly) has EDL which stands for electronic differential lock. It puts the power to whichever wheel has the grip. I think that under normal driving circumstances it gives a slight bias of more power to the rear.
I would definitely recommend the remap as its the only way you can see what that engine i s capable of.

Exhaust system would be my first stop to modding A4 quattro. get a full system with down pipe. from memary the quattro systems are different from the FWD system. so check.. done one of theses. was a 2000 model. fitted a custom made full system and a FMIC. saw 210bhp. main limiting problem with the car are the KO3 turbo.

had wheel bearings done, both were shot, car is a lot slower than my chipped fwd car, but no sign of wheelspin, been in touch with guy who did that car and he's quoted £175 if i remove ecu myself so will go with that, had a bad experiance with a custom stainless exhaust in my old mk1 golf gti (Rust In Peace) asked for quiet, sounded like a rally car and had to have it repaired several times, so may save and go for the milltek or similar but i think chip will be ok for now
cheers everyone, car is coming along nicely, if someone can tell me how ill post a few pics