Lowering my Sportback

996TT_Stevo

Reaction score
I am want to lower the ride height of my 2.0TDI Sportback Sport, I like the look of the Eibach kit (Sportline)

Has anyone changed the Springs on the Sportback with the stock dampers?, your comments would be appreciated.

My main concern is how does this effect warranty/insurance etc

Thanks

I'm going for coilovers on my A3 Stevo as said in the email, I'll ring and tell my insurance company it depends if they are a mod happy one.

It's the good ladies motor, she has been driving only for 2/3 years now, we have a Black Sportback Sport and there are some very nice lowered ones on this forum.

Looking at some older threads, it looks like it would void warranty (suspension related) if fitting an aftermarket spring. Does anyone know if the S3 Spring or Spring/Damper would bolt on to my car? and if so would this void warranty.

Thanks

I fitted the prokit to my S-line, it wasn't the sportback though it was the 3 door. With the standard shocks and prokit the ride was actually smoother with them than the standard fit springs.

J.

Did exactly the same with my Black Sportback Sport. Went for the Eibach Pro-kit coil springs in the end.

Relatively easy job if your pretty handy with spanners and enjoy lying under a jacked up car. Did mine in the drive. The rears were an absolute breeze, took about 30 mins max once the wheels were off. Can't remember exactly how I did it but didn't really have to take any of the car apart just used a couple of jacks to get the job done. The fronts were more tricky. Involves taking the brakes off the struts and then dropping the struts from the chassis. Not hard if you're mechanical minded, just time consuming. The hardest part I found was finding a spanner to hold the nut at the top of the struts under the bonnet. I found that a deep reach spark plug socket with a nut shape around the top let me hold the nut with a spanner and get an allen key down through the middle to undo the strut (only a couple of quid from Halfords).

Good luck!

I have the H&R spring kit on mine with the standard shocks. Much improved the look of the car, can't say I've noticed any difference in ride quality.
As for warranty then obviously if anything happens connected with suspension etc. then you can't expect it to be covered, but if it's unrelated then they can't refuse it.

As said the backs are easy, but the front can be a pig if you can't seperate the strut from the hub. VW do a spreader for about £7, can't remember the part number though.

marriedblonde said:
I fitted the prokit to my S-line, it wasn't the sportback though it was the 3 door. With the standard shocks and prokit the ride was actually smoother with them than the standard fit springs.

J.

Any pics?

Thanks

boggym said:
Did exactly the same with my Black Sportback Sport. Went for the Eibach Pro-kit coil springs in the end.

Relatively easy job if your pretty handy with spanners and enjoy lying under a jacked up car. Did mine in the drive. The rears were an absolute breeze, took about 30 mins max once the wheels were off. Can't remember exactly how I did it but didn't really have to take any of the car apart just used a couple of jacks to get the job done. The fronts were more tricky. Involves taking the brakes off the struts and then dropping the struts from the chassis. Not hard if you're mechanical minded, just time consuming. The hardest part I found was finding a spanner to hold the nut at the top of the struts under the bonnet. I found that a deep reach spark plug socket with a nut shape around the top let me hold the nut with a spanner and get an allen key down through the middle to undo the strut (only a couple of quid from Halfords).

Good luck!

I'm pretty good, I do a lot of work on my 996TT track car.

3.2 Ju said:
I have the H&R spring kit on mine with the standard shocks. Much improved the look of the car, can't say I've noticed any difference in ride quality.
As for warranty then obviously if anything happens connected with suspension etc. then you can't expect it to be covered, but if it's unrelated then they can't refuse it.

As said the backs are easy, but the front can be a pig if you can't seperate the strut from the hub. VW do a spreader for about £7, can't remember the part number though.

Your car looked very nice indeed, what spec of H&R did you use (mow much lower)?

Left the hubs on the bottom of the struts when I did mine. Bit heavy but manageable.

Forgot to mention the results! Ride quality was definately harder but improved in my opinion, not unbearable. As for looks - much better.

Fitting the springs is pretty striaght forward, I did a how to for a few people, I'll look it out for you. In the end I could do both ends in around an hour and a half.

If you look in the post pics of your A3 thread you'll see quite a few pics of my car. Some with the prokit and some with the streetline kit.

The prokit only lowered it around 4mm or so from the s-line.

J.

Say I went with 19's is it best Prokit or Sportline?, is there another kit named Streetline?

Ah i meant sportline! The sport line does give it a nice drop but it does make for a sportier ride!

If you like the look of the S-line then the prokit will be perfect, if the s-line isn't low enough then it wont be low enough.

J.

Looks like Sportline is way to go, unless there is a happy medium.