HELP - TYRE ADVICE

dovejon

S3 Saloon S-Tronic Phantom Black
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2000 1.8 QTS. 3 of my tyres need replacing, the remaining good one is a pirelli p6000 on the n/s/f. Given the quattro system do I need to do a like for like replacement i.e. should the tyres on each axle be the same make and have the same tread pattern? I am sure I have read this advice somewhere before but wanted to check. Don't really want to keep the good P6000 as not very impressed with them, and I may sell the car soon and would rather put cheaper tyres on the car.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

You need to change all 4 as the wear needs to be the same on each axle.
Whether you're keeping it or selling it I definately would not put cheap tyres on it as it is an indication to buyers how well you've looked after the car. Goodyear Excellence are only £65 a corner if you shop around, so how much are you going to save going with a cheap brand?

Do all four mate, chuck the pirelli as a spare( assuming the spare is shot)

Khumo Ecsta is a good "economy" brand

:laugh: i curently use michelin sport ps2 currently fitted to the (bugatti veyron) as standard i know they are expensive but they stick like glue in the dry and wet conditions are pretty good as well i got a set of 4 from ebay for £350 last year ran them for 7 monthes and only lost about 1.5-2mm tread pretty good for a soft compound tyre.before them i used michelin pilot and got 35 thousand out of those i dont think you will get a better tyre for the a4 in me opinion

Don't skimp on tyres.
Banana skins as tyres would give more grip than the Pirelli P6000. The last 2 Audis I bought had them and couldn't wait for them to wear out....as others have said consign it to the spare wheel and get a set of 4 quality tyres on there....
You have to consider that any future purchaser of your car may see cheapo tyres (if fitted) and then start wondering if you have used Woolworths engine oil, one-size-fits-all wiper blades from the sunday market etc and generally skimped on everything when it comes to maintaining your vehicle........I'd walk away in such circumstances.....lol.

i have three P6000's with about 6mm on them if you are interested.

Good year GSD's were good but wear quite quickly if you have a spirited driving style

I wouldn't get too anal about replacing all four at once because audi say so.
I have had a number of quattros from the 80's to my current 1.8tqs.

so long as you don't have brand new front and slicks on the back you will be fine. you get afew mm's difference just with a bit of air pressure change. if it was that sensitive you would shag the difs every time you had a flat!
don't change brands from one side to another as even the same profile tyres differ massively dependant on tread pattern

I regularly wore down the rears faster than the fronts and swapped them over buying pairs instead of all four, never once had a problem with a broken torsen system.

I'm going to echo some of the comments above:

i) Don't skimp on tyres, Ditchfinder (TM) tyres will usually do just that if you like a spirited drive.
ii) Try to keep the the tread depth the same on each axel.

I don't think the quattro system (can't rem the version we have) is particularly susceptible to damage due to differing tyre tread depth.

Certainly nothing like the old 4wd system fitted to the old Cavaliers and Calibras - the electronic diffs would wind up more often than not, if you had differing tread depths over all four tyres.

N

I can't comment on the Quattro system considerations first hand as all mine so far have been FWD; but as others have said I wouldn't take too many liberties with tyres; my old man (ex firefighter) has seen many an accident and told me one thing that's always stuck with me:

"The tyres are the only part(s) of your car that attach it to the road"

As Andy said, Goodyear Excellence are cheap enough - and because there was no availability of Eagle F1 GSD3 when it was time to swap for me, I've just had four of those, and so far so good. Better in the wet than the GSD3s, not far off the same in the dry, a little quieter and they're supposed to wear slower (although I had plenty out of the GSD3s)...

Regards,

Rob