wooshing noise from 2.0 TDi?

Petem95

Reaction score
I get a "wooooooooo" noise from my A3 2.0 TDi at low RPM? It's only noticable from pulling off, and up to about 2500rpm when you hear a "wooooo" (pitch gets higher) noise then it seems to go away at higher RPM.

Any ideas what could cause this? Was thinking maybe a loose pipe on the turbo maybe?

Anyone else get similar noises from theirs?

Think it's become known as the 'owl' noise - as bacardi says, quite normal and nothing to worry about.

You sure its not just the turbo spooling up? About 1500rpm to about 2500rpm as you say. Sounds normal to me!

Re-assurring to hear its normal then :)

Owl noise sums it up pretty well!! ;)

You can hear it from low revs in 1st and 2nd gear yea? maybe in 3rd too? If it is, then its deafiately turbo spool...

one thing a mate said when I first had the audi was it sounds like a cow moo'ing when you rev it, never ever been able to get that out of my head!

I can imagine bully from bullseye everytime I rev in first gear :)

The 'Owl' noise is very common on the 2.0TDI and very well documented on most of the forums that the 2.0 can be found on...uk-mkivs...briskoda...seat-cupra.net etc..

A common misconception is that the noise is 'normal' turbo whistle, it isn't apparently and even my dealer admits that they know most of them do it but no-one knows why lol!

There has just been a recently released TSB issued to Seat dealers to change the turbo inlet pipe on 170PD models to eliminate the 'owl'...time will tell whether that is successful and will filter across the group.. :blink:

I have an owl living in mine too btw...he's a Tawny i think and i've named him Dave... :)

Beddie said:
I have an owl living in mine too btw...he's a Tawny i think and i've named him Dave... :)

lol excellent :applaus: