Split Intercooler

smo

TDi Power
Reaction score
My 03 A3 TDi (130) has been dripping oil from the front end....several month later (today) i investigated and found the intercooler caked in gluggy oil and road grime, upon cleaning i discovered a split in one corner, this was confirmed by booting it and watching the air blast the water off the surface!

Would the split contribute to the poor fuel economy ive seen recently?
Is oil leaking out "normal" (i know turbos blow a bit into the cooler...)
Can it be repaired??

Cheers
Simon

Is the split in the core? If so then no. Well i say no, some people might tell you that you can get it re-cored, but this normally costs just as much as buying a new one and means you loose your car for a good few days. I would imagine the Audi one is a bit pricey, have a go and see if you can find a pattern one. If you cant let me know and ill see if i can get you a price.

Dan,

The split seems to be on the outlet housing, just next to the core though. I'm more concerned about my fuel economy being 20% down, especially with rising prices!

Im not sure about the fuel economy mate, im not a mechanic, im sure someone on here will be along soon to tell you though. Either way im sure it needs to be replaced if it is ******* out oil. If your going to change it some people might be able to talk you through getting an uprated one?

Its not ******* out, but its a noticable drip both at home and work!!

I'm not interested in uprating this one, i've got 2 tweeked cars already, the audi is simply to get me to work and back as cheap as possible!!!