Engine

eyeballpaul

Reaction score
Hi everyone just purchased my first audi last week had a few problems with it but never mind i still think its one of the best cars ive owned any way its a 1.8t 2001 model b6 i belive with the engine code avj is there anything wrong with this engine as it was only fitted for around 1.5 years according to searches i have carried out onthe net. i was hoping to carry out a rebuild using forged internalls and a polished, ported, cammed head but it seems not too many people supply parts for it any help would be most appriciated

:icon_thumright:

Mine is an AVJ engine and all I can say is they are rare engines,I had to find a 2nd hand one when mine went pop due to the oil pump packing in due to oil sludge in the pick up pipe and it took me 3 solid weeks to find one.
I have read up stories of the AVJ engine having the same probs but I suppose it how you maintain it and keep up to date with regular services. If you are on Longlife then scrap it. Service as normal as you would.

Cheers mate ive used pro-long adative in the past on a 700bhp nissan there was a definate differance of before and after using it maybee a good precaution to use some just in case the oil pump is about to give up ill be stripping mine down over christmass to replace the pump and pick up pipe along with a long list of things to put right too

eyeballpaul said:
Cheers mate ive used pro-long adative in the past on a 700bhp nissan there was a definate differance of before and after using it maybee a good precaution to use some just in case the oil pump is about to give up ill be stripping mine down over christmass to replace the pump and pick up pipe along with a long list of things to put right too

Good man,Your on the ball mate!:icon_thumright:

I doant suppose you kept the old engine at all if you did would you want to sell it to me as that would make life a bit easier in finding out exact internall measuments, and i could prob re build it which would also save me having to take the car off the road for more than a day

eyeballpaul said:
I doant suppose you kept the old engine at all if you did would you want to sell it to me as that would make life a bit easier in finding out exact internall measuments, and i could prob re build it which would also save me having to take the car off the road for more than a day

I left it mate,I took one look at the damage and thought it aint worth it.
Have you had any quotes yet????Im interested to see how much these are fetching now...

J7USS said:
I left it mate,I took one look at the damage and thought it aint worth it.
Have you had any quotes yet????Im interested to see how much these are fetching now...

Mate do You mean You had to replace the engine in that beutifull red car of Yours ????

No i doant really bother with engine builders as i can do all the work myself i think it would be possible to build with steel rods low comp forged pistons polished,ported and cammed and a whole load of other items for about £3500 ish looking at the basic design of the engine i think around 400-500 bhp should be possible without too much of a comprimise on drivability or reliability.

eyeballpaul said:
No i doant really bother with engine builders as i can do all the work myself i think it would be possible to build with steel rods low comp forged pistons polished,ported and cammed and a whole load of other items for about £3500 ish looking at the basic design of the engine i think around 400-500 bhp should be possible without too much of a comprimise on drivability or reliability.

This sounds interesting,Cant wait to see this beast,sounds like you know your stuff!!
Whens your planned project??

Ill get xmass out of the way then make a start gathering bits up from the usa as it would be rude not to take advantage of the pound v dollar at the moment then hopefully all going to plan it should be done for around april may time