Help Please!! 2.4 SPORT Techtronic

joeuk1

Reaction score
As this is my first post I guess I should say hello.....well "hello"

I have just bought a 2004 A4 sport 2.4 Multi-tronic Saloon with 27000 miles.

I cant seem to find too much info on this model anywhere and just wondered what your thoughts on it are??

I pick the car up on Thursday and cannot wait. I currently drive a Ford Puma so looking forward to a better ride!

Anything I need to check for when collecting it?

Thanks very much

Joe

Never heard of an audi techtronic. It's either Multitronic or Tiptronic. Multitronic is an almost "gearless" type of auto box. It doesn't have seperate cogs for each gear ratio, but rather a drive belt that slides up or down a conical shaft. The diameter of the cone determines the ratio.

Tiptronic is a more conventional auto box with the addition of a "manual" gear selection feature.

My guess is that you have multitronic.

Ooops....I meant multitronic!!

Not sure why i typed that!!

FIXED.

I'm sure it'll be nice but don't expect fast. 2.4 was probably the lowest selling petrol engine in the A4 which is probably why there's not much info around.

As it's not a turbo there isn't much tuning potential and to be honest with the multitronic 'box you want to keep it standard as they're not the most reliable gearbox around.

Hope I made a good choice.

I'm worried now.

Heres a couple of pics.

VehicleImage.axd
VehicleImage.axd

Nice looking car and I'm sure you'll love the smooth V6.

Thinking further, I'd get them to do a gearbox oil change as part of the deal. I believe they're required every 40k but may as well get it done early. You could also try to get an extended warranty on the gearbox.

Welcome!

I have a 2.4 SE Multitronic, on a 52-plate. It's true the 2.4 was quite a slow-selling model, but that's mainly because it was perceived as being neither one thing nor the other. i.e. it wasn't any faster that a 4-cyl turbo (probably slower in fact), nor was it significantly more economical than the larger V6 models.

But that doesn't stop it being an excellent car. Remember it's not a sporty model, was never intended to be. However, it's reasonably quick, very smooth and refined and, contrary to perceptions, a lot more economical than a 3.2 Quattro.

The multitronic box is a CVT, with a Tiptronic mode, i.e. sequential manual. When in Tiptronic mode, it's a six-speeder. The only thing you need to know, as mentioned by Macduff, is that it must have the gearbox oil changed every 40,000 miles. It also helps if you clean the front wheel torque sensors from time to time. Do a search on here under "Multitronic", and you should find the thread I posted last year explaining how easy it is for a novice to do this.

Enjoy it, you've made a good choice.

Thanks guys

I appreciate the advice.

I'm no boy racer so not too fussed about a second here or there for 0-60 times.

Roll on tomorrow!!!

Hows the new car, looks good. Bet your coming up with any old excuse to go out in it.....

I only picked it up last night so just had a quick spin before bed!!

My wifes Clio is in the garage so she got to drive the ****** thing today!!!!! I had to make do with my legs and London transport this morning :(

In the breif drive I had last night I must say it feels lovely, soooo smooooth. It also feels faster than I thought it would and the V6 sounds good too.

I'm very happy and can't wait to drive down to Brighton tomorrow!!