Dead ECU!

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
went to APS today to pick the car up, it was all finished and running, but after they had taken it out for a test drive, when they turned it off it wouldn't start again! we all thought it was something to do with the Clifford alarm! But after ages ******* around with that we changed the ecu for another one they had there and it fired up straight away! put my old one back in, it started, so turned it off then on again and dead again! Now looks like its either getting repaired or a new one to be fitted! Anyone else had this problem or no where to get the ecu sorted?!

Thats weird, they don't normally give up.

I hope APS are going to remap the new ECU for free?

Source one from a breakers maybe? Shame you'll need to keep a lot of the dedicated Audi stuff as if it was a simpler setup an Emerald ECU would be great.

well APS said they could probabally get the map etc of the old one, ill call them in a bit and see whats happening!

I reckon Ed's spent enough to be able to buy a high mileage Boxster, theres a couple on eBay for under 8K now.

OK, So a bloke driving a Boxster would look a bit of a tool, but then if you drive something Imola Yellow looks probably aren't high on your Agenda!!

Boxster would be better built, better interior, better brakes, mid engined roadster that would be FAR faster in every situation than an S3.

Mind, I've spent enough on my car to 'almost' buy a Boxster so thats pot calling kettle black.

LOL last thing i would buy would be a boxter! The imola s3 is a fanny magnet! Besides a boxter would never stay with me on a straight!

LOL - come out with me in Reading Ed, I'll show you what a fanny magnet is! Or go out with Jampublic, he'll show you what a granny magnet is :)

You are correct, a Boxster would never keep up in a straight line, however, we live on a tiny island with LOADS of corners.

lol maybe i should take that offer up!! Jampublic that is! Very true about the corners! I'm still thinking Impreza wr1 next!

edward_harris said:
Besides a boxter would never stay with me on a straight!

When I first read that I thought you meant you wouldn't be able to keep control one. lol

Sorry to hear about the ECU, sounds a right kafuffle! Good luck.

Dave_Bayern said:
Boxster would be better built, better interior, better brakes, mid engined roadster that would be FAR faster in every situation than an S3.

Better interior?
Early Boxster?
Or even 996?

Sorry Dave...not so.

My S3 was in a different league compared to the 996...it's cheap and nasty by comparison.
That being said, if I wanted wonderfully adjustable seats, ambient mood lighting and high class fittings i'd stay in my living room.
A car is for driving...and when that's the task in hand, the crappiness of the boxster/996 interior just don't matter as either is infinately better to drive than my S3 was.

I have a 2000 2.7 Boxster sat on my driveway right now, its been here for a while.

Regards interior, better is a very subjective term.

As you say, its not even a comparable drive.

Dave_Bayern said:
I reckon Ed's spent enough to be able to buy a high mileage Boxster, theres a couple on eBay for under 8K now.

OK, So a bloke driving a Boxster would look a bit of a tool, but then if you drive something Imola Yellow looks probably aren't high on your Agenda!!

Mind, I've spent enough on my car to 'almost' buy a Boxster so thats pot calling kettle black.

Dreamland again Dave!!

Boxster S sat on my drive! BT S3 next to it with the toys! I know which is the sunstantially quicker road car and suspect same would be on track too!

Compare Eds BT s3 to a stock Boxster non s model and the Boxster would not even get close!

You'd need a nice 911 to live with a BT S3 on normal roads. I took a guy out who was having some work at APS done and we came up behind a guy in a Carerra 4 s who was having a go overtaking some cars.....poor guy did not know what was going on with the s3 chomping up behind him on every overtake! And I was only on 4/5ths boost too! Noticeably quicker the S3 was, even with his rorty exhaust!

0-100 in 11 secs from the s3 remember......v quick in anyones book!

Boxster especially the s is a very nicely balanced car, but spirited road driving is compromised by a cramped cabin and not the best pedals in the world either!

Ed's BT S3 only works once every 5 weeks, so I reckon I know which is quicker :)

The 911 was 0.6 seconds slower than the Boxster S on the top gear test track, so 'needing' a 911 to keep up with a BT S3 is pretty unfounded.

The 4S is a poor car by 911 standards anyway if you believe the opinions of the motoring press.

Lets say Ed had bought a Boxster, a cheap one instead of doing the BT work, so you'd be comparing a standard 2.5 or 2.7 Boxster to a standard S3.

Not in dreamland anymore are we? As the Boxster is infinately better as a drivers car.

simch said:
You'd need a nice 911 to live with a BT S3 on normal roads. I took a guy out who was having some work at APS done and we came up behind a guy in a Carerra 4 s who was having a go overtaking some cars.....poor guy did not know what was going on with the s3 chomping up behind him on every overtake! And I was only on 4/5ths boost too! Noticeably quicker the S3 was, even with his rorty exhaust!

Depends on the roads...
If going through the gears using the torque, I'd agree...
On a flat out drag, I don't.
The 911 is faster. Especially when it starts to wake up at the wrong side of 100.

0-100 in 11 secs from the s3 remember......v quick in anyones book!

Well lets see...Caneys 415BHP TT was quicker than me over the 1/4...but I was pulling him back towards the end...and that's WAY more power than your average BT S3/TT and a VERY quick car...
Give another 1/4 mile...the result would be quite different I'm sure.

Over 100 aerodynamics come into play...which gives the 911/Boxster the advantage.

Boxster especially the s is a very nicely balanced car, but spirited road driving is compromised by a cramped cabin and not the best pedals in the world either!

That just goes to show...
The Boxster/997 has some of the most perfectly placed pedals of ANY car...perfect for heel-toing.
The S3 doesn't.
You are the only person I've ever come accross that thinks the opposite...
Just goes to show...

And cramped cabin?
More leg room available in a 996 than a S3...so it's not cramped that way. Is the Boxster any different?

Dave_Bayern said:
The 4S is a poor car by 911 standards anyway if you believe the opinions of the motoring press.

Which Press?
The Blind Times?

The 996 was the pick of the 996 range (excluding GT3) according to many magazines....'one of the best ever' according to some.
Read decent magazines comments about them - or drive them - and you'll see.

A poor car by 911 standards?
Get a grip Dave.

Not in dreamland anymore are we? As the Boxster is infinately better as a drivers car.

No doubt there...
A bog standard 2.7 is still better to drive than a properly sorted BT S3.
Not as fast agreed...but more involving.

Ess_Three said:
Which Press?
The Blind Times?

The impaired vision monthly magazine? Why do you ask?

Now, I have no experience of the RWD vs Carrera4, unlike you, so I have no idea, I just remember reading a lot about how much they preferred the RWD £ for £.

The 996 was always hailed as providing much more than the sum of it's parts...the pick of the usable range for many. Well worth the additional cash.

The 996 is unburstable...not appreciably slower in the wet, than in the dry.

I've heard criticism of the 997 C4S as not being worth the additional cash because the PSM on the C2 is just sooo good...but I'd not agree.
Also the 997s steering (electric assistance and variable ratio rack) has been criticised as being more numb than the 996s more conventional system.

I nearly managed to swap ends in a 997 C2S...which I doubt the 997 C4S would have done.
I need to prise one out of my dealers stock to see first hand though.

But the 996 C4S is deeply impressive on any road in any weather (just don't spec the Aerokit if you object to replacing front lip spoilers!)

Guy at work has the 996 with Aerokit.

Looks like a proper race car, just needs some sponsor stickers and it WOULD be a proper racecar.

Especially if you opt for the lowered seats to allow for helmet (the procective headgear type) room, the optional Sports Chassis (uprated ARBs, progressive springs, Bilstein dampers, different camber settings), quick shift, Sports Exhaust and lightweight wheels...

But then the cost of the options list makes what Edward has spent on his S3 look like loose change you loose down the back of the sofa! :scared2:

Anyway...

Edward...you car hasn't been parked in the wet has it?

I had my ECU 'fail' because the seal hadn't been re-made properly...the car was just dead.
Got the ECU out, sent it to a man who opened it up, stuck it in the over for 2 hours at 60 degrees (I kid you not!) and returned it re-sealed.

Vroom....(or rather pshtttt) and off it went.

Just a thought...all may not be lost.
They are pretty hardy things nowadays.

Yes, back to the ECU thing, not too long ago, a chap called Maz on here had a dead ECU in his S3, he said he jet washed the car and it went dead! After taking the ECU out, it was full of water, he dried it off for a few hours and plugged it back in, and all was ok.

Ess I don't know much about the different models of Porsches, so what do you have 996, 997, C2s, C4s?

Didn't realise it was a 3.6 My old man has the 997 C2S which is a 3.8 When he bought it they guy at Porsche Aberdeen said its not worth spending the extra 10k on a C4S as the PSM has improved 10 fold compared to older 911's

Oh and it drives sweet. Its such a great feeling the RWD pushing you along.

Aky said:
Didn't realise it was a 3.6 My old man has the 997 C2S which is a 3.8 When he bought it they guy at Porsche Aberdeen said its not worth spending the extra 10k on a C4S as the PSM has improved 10 fold compared to older 911's

Oh and it drives sweet. Its such a great feeling the RWD pushing you along.

The PSM certainly has not improved 10 fold as it's basically the same system...and a RWD car with the engine out the rear can only be reigned in by PSM, if you give it too much power...whereas the 4WD versions don't back off the power so soon, they send it forward.

The additional front drive usually means adding understeer - which is true of the C4S if you take it on the standard suspension...but with the sports Chassis option it returns it to C2 like feeling, but with the benefit of not having the power backed out...and feeling much more surefooted...adding confidence.

I had an extended test drive of a 997 C2S...
Its noticably quicker...
The seats are better...
The Sports Exhaust isn't as loud as the 996 version...
The active suspension is not usable in sport on Aberdeenshire roads!

And I almost spun it on a wet roundabout at a lower speed than my C4S blasts round it every day...
PSM is good...but it's not the Physics altering device some thing it it...electronics are great, but sometimes they are no substitute for proper grip and drive.

If I were spending the money again, I'd still take a C4/C4S over a C2 simply because the roads up my way are awful and it rains a lot...making the C4/C4S easier to drive faster than the C2s.

In the hands of Herr Rohrl, the C2 may be faster...but I'm not Herr Rohrl...and I know which I'm faster in!

when they had the ecu out they opened it up and was sealed very very well! had to use a screwdriver to open it! Also dont think it's been raining recently! Also odd that they had it running for 20 mins then after it just packed up!

Dave_Bayern said:
Ed's BT S3 only works once every 5 weeks, so I reckon I know which is quicker :)

The 911 was 0.6 seconds slower than the Boxster S on the top gear test track, so 'needing' a 911 to keep up with a BT S3 is pretty unfounded.

Lets say Ed had bought a Boxster, a cheap one instead of doing the BT work, so you'd be comparing a standard 2.5 or 2.7 Boxster to a standard S3.

...haha. quoting the Nonsense top gear test track are we now Dave!

Dave, I have a Boxster S, nice car, bit cramped, not as exciting or different to drive as everyone thinks, that's all. feels a bit like a very quick ford fiesta, its all too light, too bland. I also have a 944s2 cab with a 968 CS motor fitted, although marginally slower, its a far nicer car to drive, far more involved for some reason, maynbe the older more agricultural technology, i dont knwo.
The cramped Boxster comment is not leg room cramped, mine has the sports seats which may be a bit more bulky behind than the stockers, but its the room between the seat and the steering wheel that is the issue in the Boxster, I'm over 6ft and am just too close to the wheel to be comfortable when pressing on, arms are just a bit too bent, even on full adjustment. The pedal comment is not the position of the pedals, its their action, the throttle is not as progressive as I think it should be, seems to have too much movement initially then all of a sudden it feels like the next quarter inch has 70% movement, then slows down again. I prefer the 944/968 pedals by far, more direct, more controllable. Now the S3 throttle is far from perfect, better once rejigged with the map, but the DBW gives an anonymouns feel. My point was the pedals could be better on the boxster, and IMO let the experience down a bit.
I also have my IHI S3.
You said that a boxster (not an S) would be FAR quicker in all circumstances.....
It is not, 2.5 or 2.7 will not be as fast as a BT s3 because a Boxster S is not. I have bolted the timing gear onto both, the S3 is substantially quicker, in fact the guy who owns the gear said the only road car that they'd tested that seemed close to the S3 logs was his old mans 360 Modena! 1/4 miles on a closed road, (not grippy strip) were consistently low to mid 13s, at 107 temrinal speed, quickest was 13.204 at 109.75. You need a lot of any car to make similar times, dont just get hung up on your theory about gear ratios and power to weight etc, a good converted BT s3 is a fast little motor car!! 40-80 in third in just over 5s, 60-100 in 4th at a shade over 6...

Oh, mine pulled 1.189 lateral G on the meter too, on a pretty cold day on Toyo T1rs, so lets not pretend they are only quick in a straight line!

A BT S3, well set up running about 350hp is a fair bit quicker than a Boxster, I can assure you! !! When you get both, by all means post your findings!

Now Maybe mine is quicker than Eds, i dont know, but with same turbo, and similar spec, I cannot think they can be too far off each other.

Now dont get me wrong, a nice 996 or 993 will always be a more desirable car to my BT s3, to me and everyone else on here, but for the purpose the S3 was bought and converted for, (ie an anonymous hatchback that is seriously quick when needed without shouting at the world come and race/steal me!) it does ok!

You've written a lot on the assumption I said something I actually didnt.

I said the Boxster would be faster than an S3. This is true, my comments about it being better handling, better brakes etc also stand true.
Standard to standard, the Boxster is better, spend 8K on an S3 it'll be better than the standard Boxster but spend 8K on the Boxster as well and it'll be better than the upgraded S3.

I didnt compare Ed's BT S3 to the Boxster.

I said he could have spent 8K on a Boxster instead of the S3, and he'd have had a better machine.

For a competent driver, the Boxster would be quicker round any UK track than even a well sorted BT S3 anyway, the chassis is 1000% better sorted, the braking is way better and the machine itself is designed to be fast, unlike the S3.

EDIT - That said, your S3 sounds like a pretty awesome machine.

lol....same old arguments.
how can you compare a £80k porkka to a old shape s3! Any ihi/gtrs s3 is running 320-340bhp they weigh 1420kg+ they are not race bred.All boxsters feel gutless. 220-250bhp is not quick by modern standards.

I dunno, I suppose my main point anyway was more of a "what on earth are you doing with your money" to Ed.

For the sake of learning a bit about cars, and some internet buying, you could done the same car for half by importing the turbo/associated parts, or indeed just started out with a better car.

S3 money lets say 12K for a good one, plus 7-8K is near enough RS4 money if you intend to stay with the Audis. Can certainly buy the older shape for that.

Id buy one this second if I had the spendo's! In my opinion one of the coolest real world cars available just now. Im 23 buy the way

My 50k miler s3 53 plate, leather all the toys with brakes spenny and motor sorted stands me £20k! ...So not cheap by any means, but then for what I wanted, its pretty much hits the spot! And I still have all the old bits left so could recoup proabably £1500 there....? maybe!
It minces up every RS4 I have come accross on track days so far, I am sure there may be some quick ones out there, but to be quicker than mine I reckon they woudl ahve had to have some wedge spent on them!

Exactly for the money i have spent what else could i have got that has everything mine has?! I love the new rs4 but all the old ones are advants! Very old man! Not a 21 y/o car!