What's this noise

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hi guys, my car has recently developed a weird noise from the engine. After driving the car hard (or just a long drive) and then come to stationary position I get a weird noise the only way I can describe it is like a rusty wheel turning around in the engine. It's coming from around the washer fluid tank or cam belt area (I think). A few months back I had a new cam belt & water pump installed by audi so I doubt it could be that. Does the water pump make any noise?

Like I said with the car stationary it sounds as if there's a rusty wheel turning around in the engine, like a moving part rotating and making a highish pitched squeak every sec or so. This is not to be confused with the "ticking" noise that usually comes from the engine, this noise sounds very much like a mechanical/moving part. any help would be appreciated :beerchug: and I can't hear the noise with the engine cold

Humm, haven't tried, I'll see in a few min when I go for a drive, but on the subject of Air con, I did have a weird problem for like 2 months, every time I'd switch on the AC I'll get a weird noise like a rattle as if a paper is stuck inside the outlet vents for the AC and the air was hitting it on it's way out, by the passenger side foot rest. I never got around to having it checked but It went away like 2 weeks ago and I've thought it somehow fixed itself. Guess I might have to get it checked out. Any idea what I could ask the garage to check in relation to the AC?

The noise coming from the passenger footwell sounds like it'll be the air pump - it's just behind the glove box.

Just to be clear the noise from the engine is with it still running? If it's when you've turned the car off I'd say it's the afterrun coolant pump but I'm guessing it's when the cars still running.

i think i get a similar noise only when the engine is warm, i recon its the water pump & will verify when i ve had my serivce + cam belt done.

god_thats_quick said:
The noise coming from the passenger footwell sounds like it'll be the air pump - it's just behind the glove box.

Just to be clear the noise from the engine is with it still running? If it's when you've turned the car off I'd say it's the afterrun coolant pump but I'm guessing it's when the cars still running.

Yes the noise is on with the car still running, when the car is turned off it goes away. Would a faulty air pump cause the squeaky noise I'm getting from the engine bay?

mattyboy199 said:
i think i get a similar noise only when the engine is warm, i recon its the water pump & will verify when i ve had my serivce + cam belt done.

That would help mate. I hope its not the water pump because it should be new as I replaced it with the cam belt. Although All the coolant in the car did drain out at one stage.