mot

truebrummie

Reaction score
just failed my first mot on my 1.9tdi a4 on a n reg a split nearside driveshaft gaitor and rear foglight is it much work replacing the gaitor ?

Its not too bad, but if i were you i would get a universal repair gaitor which comes split and you just wrap it around. Comes with all the fixings as well. 10 minute job......Thats if they still make them.

If its not to bad clean it up and glue it back together then smear some greese over it so they can not see the repair then thay can not fail you.

good ideas but i have all ready got the new gaitor from my brother who works at a parts suppliers
good ideas

personally i wouldn't carry out any repair on my car in a half assed manner, do the job right, get a proper boot. only takes about half an hour to swap once you have the wheel off.

i've seen those split boots that glue together unglue themselves in a few weeks. ask yourself, what was the last thing you successfully glued with superglue, the only thing i've managed to glue with the stuff is myself to myself

thanks mate as i said i have the boot already so depending on weather tomorrow will be fitting

shineydave said:
personally i wouldn't carry out any repair on my car in a half assed manner, do the job right, get a proper boot. only takes about half an hour to swap once you have the wheel off.

i've seen those split boots that glue together unglue themselves in a few weeks. ask yourself, what was the last thing you successfully glued with superglue, the only thing i've managed to glue with the stuff is myself to myself

I totally agree its only a quick thing to get your car throught the MOT then dot the propper repait at a later date when you have more time and the car is legal. :icon_thumright:

Markey said:
I totally agree its only a quick thing to get your car throught the MOT then dot the propper repait at a later date when you have more time and the car is legal. :icon_thumright:

Yes but will you ever get round to doing the repair??:no: Next thing you forget all about it,water gets in and next thing you know you need a new cv joint

Stitch in time saves nine!! imo:yes: